askIITians GRIP(Global Rendering of Intellectuals Program) Activity Result -(2019â€“20) Grade 9
â€œEducation is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to anotherâ€
askiitiansÂ totally believes this. We are doing our part and succeeding through it.
We would like to thank you all for making GRIP a successful venture. We are really happy to see the exuberance you showed towards this program which was quite evident from the large participation from students across the globe. We promised that the best performers in various activities will be given a felicitation by making their name appear on our blog. So here we are presenting you the same.
You are about to be exposed to several Fields, Subjects, Career options, Research fields waiting for innovations etc. but we all have some favorites. You must be having strong liking towards a particular field than the other.
So now we make you the Envoy to present a strong case in favour of your favourite career option. Letâ€™s see if your presentation can make others start questioning their choice and join you in pursuing the same field.
The Take Off
Prepare a fine Article to list down the complete information regarding the field of your choice. It should be so compresenhive that one would not need any other source for referral to know about this field yet so edible that even a layman could understand it.Â
The structure of the article is as following.
- What you want to do and Why you want to do ?
- Introduction to the field.
- What makes this field different and special from others.
- Scope of the field.
- Eligibility and requirement for the field.
- Availability of the Institutes that make you achieve this goal.
- How to start preparing to reach this goal.
- List and Quotes of the successful people in the field.
- How is it helpful to humanity.
- Closing Remarks
Submit the article in Word,PPT etc format properly mentioning your Name, Batch through the submission form shared with the Activity.
You will be evaluated on the basis of originality, comprehensivity, creativity and articulation skills.
Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.Do mention the sources you referred.
Chemistry activity 1
Look Around You
DESCRIPTION: Everything around us comprises of chemistry. So, why not look for it in the TV commercials or the objects around? Observe the products and look for the chemistry playing a part.
For instance :
- Â It is a face wash Formulated withÂ Activated CarbonÂ and Vitamin B3. Activated charcoal is a fine black powder made from bone char, coconut shells, peat, petroleum coke, coal, olive pits or sawdust.The charcoal is “activated” by processing it at very high temperatures. The high temperatures change its internal structure, reducing the size of its pores and increasing its surface area .This results in a charcoal that is more porous than regular charcoal.
- Activated charcoal works by trapping toxins and chemicals in the gut, preventing their absorption.The charcoal’s porous texture has a negative electrical charge, which causes it to attract positively charged molecules, such as toxins and gases. This helps it trap toxins and chemicals in the gut . Because activated charcoal is not absorbed by your body, it can carry theÂ toxinsÂ bound to its surface out of your body in feces.
Students will be evaluated on the basis of most unique advertisement explaining the chemistry behind. Students can also take into account some other component present in the same substance,Â enhancing the effect or curbing the side effects.
Maths activity 2
Playing with numbers
This activity aims to check how good you are with numbers. What exactly we are looking for?Â
All of you must have heard about Ramanujan, the man who knew infinity. There is a story about him. When he went to London, he met professor G.H Hardy. One day the professor referring to his car number 1729, said there is nothing peculiar about this number. But the genius mathematician Ramanujan said,Â â€œSir, not if we see it the way i look at it. Itâ€™s actually a pretty interesting number because this is the smallest number that can be written as sum of cubes of two numbers in 2 different ways.â€
Professor was impressed, because no one could have thought about the number in that way.
In this activity, you have to find 3 more special numbers apart from Ramanujamâ€™s Number. Try to identify the special properties of these numbers in the same way. Letâ€™s exploreÂ the Ramanujam inside you and check how many special qualities you can find about the given number. This doesnâ€™t end here. Try to give 1 number by yourself, which you find interesting but may look ordinary to other people at first sight.
The participant will be evaluated on the following parameters-
- Evaluation will be completely based on thought process of the students, how they analyse the number and how many specialities they are able to find about the number.Â
- Presentation of the whole idea
- Uniqueness of the number given by you and its special properties.\
Biology activity 3
Biology with entertainment
- To collect clippings of cartoons, animated movies and mainstream movies where any biological phenomena were used.
One new way of entertainment these days is watching movies. Especially sci-fi. I just love them. We have all grown up watching science/biology movies. Maybe we notice it or not (knowingly or unknowingly) it gives us a lot of knowledge. Similarly, a number of series/fiction that we have seen have a lot to learn from.Â
And this task is only that. *Your Biology observation*. On the basis of knowledge of biology learned already, the participant is supposed to spot biological phenomena in the movies/ cartoons. The video clippings or pictures are then supposed to be provided with the name of the biological phenomenon being followed along with a description of how it is being followed.
As an example, the above screenshot is from the movie â€œMission Impossibleâ€.Â
Bioterrorism (or biological terrorism), as its name suggests, is the use of living organisms to intentionally harm or kill people, much in the same way as traditional terrorism methods.
One good example of this particular concept is the movie Bioterror. This Hollywood movie mainly focuses on bioterrorism and the possibility of anthrax.
Name of Phenomenon used – Bioterrorism
Description– You will define the scene and concept used. An explanation of concept is also needed.
The participant will be evaluated on the following parameters-
- The number of biological phenomena spotted.Â
- The variety of the biological concepts spotted in different clippings.
- The clarity of the description of the phenomena, specifying what is biologically happening.