Hi. I have a question about calculating electric field. In the given image you have two line charges which are not infinite. “a” is a radius, and angle “alfa” is given. How to calcululate electric fied of point (0,0)? Is it the easiest way to do superposition method, or calculating each part of charge separately? I know how to do this for half circle, but the gap between charges is a problem. Thanks for the answers.

Hi. I have a question about calculating electric field. In the given image you have two line charges which are not infinite. “a” is a radius, and angle “alfa” is given. How to calcululate electric fied of point (0,0)? Is it the easiest way to do superposition method, or calculating each part of charge separately? I know how to do this for half circle, but the gap between charges is a problem. Thanks for the answers.

Question Image
Grade:

1 Answers

Shivam Chopra
45 Points
9 years ago
Dear Friend,
Here, in the question, the only difference is the gap due to which you are little bit confused from that of a semi circle.
We know that while calculating electric field for the semicircle, we integrate either small field dESinθ from 0 to π or we integrate dECosθ from –π/2 to π/2. 
As, there is a gap, so, you need not include that gap as there is no charge. So, here we can either integrate dESinθ from 0 to α & then from π-α to π & then we will add both. Or we can integrate dECosθ from –π/2 to –π/2+α & then from π/2 –α to π/2 & then add them.So, it is just the change in limits.
Please approve it if you like.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free