how can we product three vectors

chandan kumar , 11 Years ago
Grade 12
anser 1 Answers
yours katarnak Suresh

Last Activity: 11 Years ago

Scalar Triple Product

DOWNLOAD Mathematica Notebook

The scalar triple product of three vectors A, B, and C is denoted [A,B,C] and defined by

[A,B,C] = A·(BxC)
(1)
= B·(CxA)
(2)
= C·(AxB)
(3)
= det(ABC)
(4)
= |A_1 A_2 A_3; B_1 B_2 B_3; C_1 C_2 C_3|
(5)

where A·B denotes a dot product, AxB denotes a cross product, det(A)=|A| denotes a determinant, and A_i, B_i, and C_i are components of the vectors A, B, and C, respectively. The scalar triple product is a pseudoscalar (i.e., it reverses sign under inversion). The scalar triple product can also be written in terms of the permutation symbol epsilon_(ijk) as

A·(BxC)=epsilon_(ijk)A^iB^jC^k,
(6)

where Einstein summation has been used to sum over repeated indices.

Additional identities involving the scalar triple product are

A·(BxC) = B·(CxA)=C·(AxB)
(7)
[A,B,C]D = [D,B,C]A+[A,D,C]B+[A,B,D]C
(8)
[q,q^'',q^('''')][r,r^'',r^('''')] = |q·r q·r^'' q·r^(''''); q^''·r q^''·r^'' q^''·r^(''''); q^('''')·r q^('''')·r^'' q^('''')·r^('''')|.
(9)

The volume of a parallelepiped whose sides are given by the vectors A, B, and C is given by the absolute value of the scalar triple product

V_(parallelepiped)=|A·(BxC)|.
(10)

SEE ALSO: Cross Product, Dot Product, Parallelepiped, Vector Multiplication, Vector Triple Product

REFERENCES:

Arfken, G. "Triple Scalar Product, Triple Vector Product." §1.5 in Mathematical Methods for Physicists, 3rd ed. Orlando, FL: Academic Press, pp. 26-33, 1985.

Aris, R. "Triple Scalar Product." §2.34 in Vectors, Tensors, and the Basic Equations of Fluid Mechanics. New York: Dover, pp.  18-19, 1989.

Griffiths, D. J. Introduction to Electrodynamics. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, p. 13, 1981.

Jeffreys, H. and Jeffreys, B. S. "The Triple Scalar Product." §2.091 in Methods of Mathematical Physics, 3rd ed. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, pp. 74-75, 1988.

Morse, P. M. and Feshbach, H. Methods of Theoretical Physics, Part I. New York: McGraw-Hill, p. 11, 1953.

Referenced on Wolfram|Alpha: Scalar Triple Product

In mathematics, the triple product is a product of three vectors. The name "triple product" is used for two different products, the scalar-valued scalar triple product and, less often, the vector-valued vector triple product.

Provide a better Answer & Earn Cool Goodies

Enter text here...
star
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Prepraring for the competition made easy just by live online class.

tv

Full Live Access

material

Study Material

removal

Live Doubts Solving

assignment

Daily Class Assignments

Ask a Doubt

Get your questions answered by the expert for free

Enter text here...