What happens when (i) sodium metal is dropped in water ? (ii) sodium metal is heated in free supply of air ?

What happens when (i) sodium metal is dropped in water ? (ii) sodium metal is heated in free supply of air ?

Grade:12

3 Answers

Gaurav
askIITians Faculty 164 Points
9 years ago
(i ) When Na metal is dropped in water, it reacts violently to form sodium hydroxide and hydrogen gas. The chemical equation involved in the reaction is:
2Na„, + 2H2O—> 2NaOH+ H2O,g,
(ii ) On being heated in air, sodium reacts vigorously with oxygen to form sodium peroxide. The chemical equation involved in the reaction is:
2Na + O2→ Na2O2
Harjot Singh
24 Points
7 years ago
1st answer can be made by respectfull manner .i am justjoking listen 2nd answer is very good .may be bad also.love you dinesh sir i love physics my name is gagan ram. love maths also... hope answer benefited you
kevin
13 Points
6 years ago
2O2→ Na2O,g,(ii ) On being heated in air, sodium reacts vigorously with oxygen to form sodium peroxide. The chemical equation involved in the reaction is:2Na + O2O—> 2NaOH+ H2When Na metal is dropped in water, it reacts violently to form sodium hydroxide and hydrogen gas. The chemical equation involved in the reaction is:2Na„, + 2H

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free