In ice-water equilibrium, when we increase pressure, the equilibrium shifts to forward direction. Thereby, forming more water. The explanation to this which i found in all the books is contrary to what i think. When we increase the pressure, volume decreases. So according to LC principle, the equilibrium should shift in that direction in which the volume should increase. But all the books and internet say that when we increase pressure, equilibrium will shift in that direction in which volume should decrease. I'm confused in this, so i cannot understand all the physical equilibrium.

In ice-water equilibrium, when we increase pressure, the equilibrium shifts to forward direction. Thereby, forming more water. The explanation to this which i found in all the books is contrary to what i think. When we increase the pressure, volume decreases. So according to LC principle, the equilibrium should shift in that direction in which the volume should increase. But all the books and internet say that when we increase pressure, equilibrium will shift in that direction in which volume should decrease. I'm confused in this, so i cannot understand all the physical equilibrium.

Grade:12

1 Answers

Sakshi
askIITians Faculty 652 Points
8 years ago

When solid water (ice) is in equilibrium with liquid water, then the volume of a fixed mass of water is less than that of ice at its melting point. Therefore an increase in pressure will favour the forward reaction i.e., when pressure is applied to a system containing ice and water at equilibrium, more ice will melt.496-166_hi.gif

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free