By analyzing separately two different oxides of the same material, it was found that in one of them it had 16 g of oxygen combined with 56 g of a metal, while the other contained a mass m combined with 48 g of oxygen. Taking into account Dalton's law, calculate the mass m.

By analyzing separately two different oxides of the same material, it was found that in one of them it had 16 g of oxygen combined with 56 g of a metal, while the other contained a mass m combined with 48 g of oxygen. Taking into account Dalton's law, calculate the mass m.

Grade:6

6 Answers

Nikhil
64 Points
6 years ago
Dear friend, 
On simply analysing we can say that first oxide is FeO    as molecular mass of Fe is 56 and that od oxygen is 16. In the same way we can say that the another one is Fe2O3 as 2Fe is combined with 3O having mass 48 .
So the correct answer should be 102g

Dirceu Reforco Escolar
25 Points
6 years ago
But, the answer is 112 g. And I do not know how to make that answer. And I do not know how to explain it according to Dalton's Law

Dirceu Reforco Escolar
25 Points
6 years ago
But, the answer is 112 g. And I do not know how to make that answer. And I do not know how to explain it according to Dalton's Law
Subhash Kumar Mehta
100 Points
6 years ago
we observe that 16g of O and 56g of material is present in one oxide so no of O present is 1 and another material will have atomic mass factor of 56 so it will be Fe also in other oxide m mass of Fe is present and 48g O presentNow carried frwd.......
Subhash Kumar Mehta
100 Points
6 years ago
Now from law of multiple proportion let first oxide be FeO we write 2FeO and second oxide as FenO3(n is no of Fe atom) so mass of Fe should be fixed so as to obtain the ratio of O simple whole no. i.e., 1:3 hence carried forward.........
Subhash Kumar Mehta
100 Points
6 years ago
.......Hence the value of n should be 2 and Fe2 is present in another oxide therefore m=mass of 2 atoms of Fe m=2*56 m=112g Ans»Thanks »Regards»Subhash Kumar»St. Xavier`s College, Ranchi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free