I'm stuck on 2 problems with my extra credit Chem work. I can't find the help in the notes and I'm just at a wall right now. Both problems consists of quite a bit. First one is: A 10.0-L container is introduced 368 g NO2 at 50.0 oC, and is immersed into a barrel containing 50.0 L water at 24.4 oC. The temperature of water rises to 25.0 oC after reaction finishes. (Assuming that the heat capacities of barrel and gas container are negligible, density of H2O = 1.00 kg/L) The questions for the above problem 26. What is the pressure of the container before immersing to water? 27. How much heat is released by the reaction? 28. How many moles of N2O4 are produced after heat loss? (using this ΔH rxn: 2NO2 (g) → N2O4 (g). 29. What is the percent yield of the reaction? 30. How many moles of NO2 are remained in the mixture? 31. What is the pressure of the container? That's the first "problem" Second one is: A common laboratory reaction is the neutralization of an acid with a base. When 50.0 mL of 0.500 M HCl at 25.0?C is added to 50.0 mL of 0.500 M NaOH at 25.0?C in a coffee cup calorimeter, the temperature of the mixture rises to 28.2?C. Assume that the volume of the product solution is the sum of the volumes of the reactants and that the mixture has a specific heat capacity of 4.18 J/(g?K) and that the densities of all solutions are 1.00 g/mL. 32. What is the sum of the coefficients after the equation is balanced using the smallest whole number ratio? 33. Identify limiting reactant and excess reactant.(wtf is the rxn :o) 34. What is the theoretical yield of H2O in mol? 35. What is the mass of product solution in grams after reaction is complete? 36. What is the heat in kJ absorbed by product solution? 37. What is the heat of reaction per mole of H2O?

I'm stuck on 2 problems with my extra credit Chem work. I can't find the help in the notes and I'm just at a wall right now. Both problems consists of quite a bit. First one is:

A 10.0-L container is introduced 368 g NO2 at 50.0 oC, and is immersed into a barrel containing 50.0 L water at 24.4 oC. The temperature of water rises to 25.0 oC after reaction finishes. (Assuming that the heat capacities of barrel and gas container are negligible, density of H2O = 1.00 kg/L) 

The questions for the above problem
26. What is the pressure of the container before immersing to water?
27. How much heat is released by the reaction?
28. How many moles of N2O4 are produced after heat loss? (using this ΔH
rxn: 2NO2 (g) → N2O4 (g).
29. What is the percent yield of the reaction?
30. How many moles of NO2 are remained in the mixture?
31. What is the pressure of the container?

That's the first "problem"

Second one is:

A common laboratory reaction is the neutralization of an acid with a base. When 50.0 mL of 0.500 M HCl at 25.0?C is added to 50.0 mL of 0.500 M NaOH at 25.0?C in a coffee cup calorimeter, the temperature of the mixture rises to 28.2?C. Assume that the volume of the product solution is the sum of the volumes of the reactants and that the mixture has a specific heat capacity of 4.18 J/(g?K) and that the densities of all solutions are 1.00 g/mL.

32. What is the sum of the coefficients after the equation is balanced using the smallest whole number
ratio?
33. Identify limiting reactant and excess reactant.(wtf is the rxn :o)
34. What is the theoretical yield of H2O in mol?
35. What is the mass of product solution in grams after reaction is complete?
36. What is the heat in kJ absorbed by product solution?
37. What is the heat of reaction per mole of H2O?

Grade:

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

The limiting reactant is how much of a compound or solution you need to make an experiment possible. the excess reactant is the amount left over from the other compound or solution used (the other reactant that is used).

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free