If an element emits photon in its ground state due to electronic transition,then its atomic no. decreases,WHY??? D-orbital is non-degenerate,WHY? The de-broglie wavelenght of an electron accelerated by an electric field of V volts is 1.23/V nm,i need its solution???

If an element emits photon in its ground state due to electronic transition,then its atomic no. decreases,WHY???

D-orbital is non-degenerate,WHY?

The de-broglie wavelenght of an electron  accelerated by an electric field of V volts is 1.23/V nm,i need its solution???

Grade:12

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

When an electron is bound to an atom, it has a potential energy that is inversely proportional to its distance from the nucleus. This is measured by the amount of energy needed to unbind the electron from the atom, and is usually given in units of electronvolts (eV). In the quantum mechanical model, a bound electron can only occupy a set of states centered on the nucleus, and each state corresponds to a specific energy level. The lowest energy state of a bound electron is called the ground state, while an electron at a higher energy level is in an excited state.

all the five d-orbitals have the same energy, i.e., they are degenerate (meaning energetically alike).

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free