1.Why lone pair-lone pair repulsions are more than bond pair-bond pair repulsions? 2.Why the bond pair electrons not repel each other and if they do so why they make bond? 3.The orbitals are negatively charged due to the presence of electrons in them then how can two orbitals make hybrid?I mean that the hybrid forming orbitals have same charge so they should repel each other and the hybrid shouldn't be formed. Please answer these questions and please tell me why I can't see anybody's reply on my questions?

1.Why lone pair-lone pair repulsions are more than bond pair-bond pair repulsions?

2.Why the bond pair electrons not repel each other and if they do so why they make bond?

3.The orbitals are negatively charged due to the presence of electrons in them then how can two orbitals make hybrid?I mean that the hybrid forming orbitals have same charge so they should repel each other and the hybrid shouldn't be formed.

Please answer these questions and please tell me why I can't see anybody's reply on my questions?

Grade:11

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear nitin,

Following are the reasons:

An 'electron cloud' may be a single, double or triple bond, or a lone pair of electrons . A lone pair of electrons is a non-bonding pair of electrons .'electron clouds' are negatively charged since the electrons are negatively charged, so electron clouds repel one another and try to get as far away from each other as possible . lone pairs of electrons exert a greater repelling effect than bonding pairs do . lone pair-bonding pair repulsion is greater than bonding pair-bonding pair repulsion and lone pair-lone pair repulsion > lone pair-bonding pair repulsion > bonding pair-bonding pair repulsion.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free