Criteria of precipitation of an electrolyte:

Criteria of precipitation of an electrolyte:

Grade:

1 Answers

Sachin Tyagi
31 Points
14 years ago

Criteria of precipitation of an electrolyte

A very useful conclusion is derived from the solubility product concept. No precipitation of the electrolyte occurs if the ionic product is less than the solubility product, i.e., the solution has not reached the saturation stage.

Case I:    When Kip<Ksp, then solution is unsaturated in which more solute can be dissolved.

Case II:   When Kip = Ksp, then solution is saturated in which no more solute can be dissolved.

Case III: When Kip > Ksp, then solution is supersaturated and precipitation takes place.

When the ionic product exceeds the solubility product, the equilibrium shifts towards left hand side, i.e., increasing the concentration of undissociated molecules of the electrolyte. As the solvent can hold a fixed amount of electrolyte at a definite temperature, the excess of the electrolyte is thrown out from the solution as precipitate.

Thus, for the precipitation of an electrolyte, it is neces­sary that the ionic product must exceed its solubility product For example, if equal volumes of 0.02 M AgN03 solution and 0.02 M K2Cr04 solution are mixed, the precipita­tion of Ag2Cr04 occurs as the ionic product exceeds the solubility product of Ag2Cr04 which is 2 × 10–12.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free