AN ASKIITIAAN EXPERT HAD WRITTEN IN A REPLY TO ANOTHER SUDENT THAT BHU IS ALREADY AN IIT . EVEN DURING MY PREP COURSE COUNSELLING , THE PERSON GIVING A TALK THERE WAS CONTINUOUSLY REFERRING TO ISM AS "IIT DHANBAD" AND BHU AS "IIT BHU". BUT WHEN I ASKED HIM IF BHU AND ISM WERE GOING TO BECOME IITs SOON , HE AND THE OTHERS JUST LAUGHED AWAY AND HE SAID THAT FOR THEM ALL COURSES AND ALL INSTITUTES WERE SAME AND HE HAD NO INFO ABOUT IT. SIR , HAS THERE BEEN NO OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE SAME??

AN ASKIITIAAN EXPERT HAD WRITTEN IN A REPLY TO ANOTHER SUDENT THAT BHU IS ALREADY AN IIT . EVEN DURING MY PREP COURSE COUNSELLING , THE PERSON GIVING A TALK THERE WAS CONTINUOUSLY REFERRING TO ISM AS "IIT DHANBAD" AND BHU AS "IIT BHU". BUT WHEN I ASKED HIM IF BHU AND ISM WERE GOING TO BECOME IITs SOON , HE AND THE OTHERS JUST LAUGHED AWAY AND HE SAID THAT FOR THEM ALL COURSES AND ALL INSTITUTES WERE SAME AND HE HAD NO INFO ABOUT IT. SIR , HAS THERE BEEN NO OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE SAME??

Grade:12

5 Answers

rahul bajaj
31 Points
14 years ago

IT BHU AND ISMU DHANBAD ARE NOT IIT.THIS WAS ALSO TOLD TO ME WHEN I WAS COUNSELLED ON 16 JUNE.BUT I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THE DEGREE I WOULD BE GETTING AFTER THE COMPLETION OF COURSE WOULD HAVE IIT WRITTEN ON IT.

AskiitianExpert Shine
10 Points
14 years ago

Hi

IT BHU has been announced as IIT Varanasi, but i do not hink there are any plans for  ISM Dhanbad to be becoming any IT soon. In order of establishment, they are located in Kharagpur (1950; as IIT 1951), Mumbai (1958), Chennai (1959), Kanpur (1959), Delhi (1961; as IIT 1963), GuwahatiRoorkee (1847; as IIT 2001), Bhubaneswar (2008), Gandhinagar (2008), Hyderabad (2008), Patna (2008), Punjab (2008) and Rajasthan (2008). The Government of India has announced plans to add three more IITs, to be established at Indore, Mandi and Varanasi (via conversion of the IT BHU). (1994),

I think this year these three new IITs planned have also taken admissions.  There has been official announcement about the same , and its just that since the institutes still lack the proper infrastructure,some of these new IITs might be mentored in some other colleges campus , for ex. last year IIT Delhi mentored IIT Punjab students.

sug holy
8 Points
14 years ago

REALLY ? EVEN AN ISM DEGREE WILL HAVE "IIT" WRITTEN ON IT???

AskiitianExpert Shine
10 Points
14 years ago

Hi

I do not think there are any plans for making ISM an IIT , so its degree wont carry the name of "IIT" . Its for IT BHU which is being made IIT Varanasi. For further info on it please visit www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp

shakti singh
18 Points
11 years ago

hi

till now ism is not iit and degree that one get doesn,t contain IIT tag.But conversion of ISM into IIT is not so far.

3 yr ago ISM students started a compaignfor this conversion.now the update is 1. it,s conversion into IIT is passed by state government.

2.MHRD itself passed this proposal and approved for the same.

3.already passed through NDC(national developement counsil).

4.a meetimg headed by PLANNING COMMISION with the director of the ISM for this conversion issue was successful.

5.now there is no hurdle in this path of conversion as all the politician(from both government and oppositins) are in the favour of this.

so its almost sure that it will become IIT soon. 

after passing through loksabha and rajyasabha it will become IIT.

most probably within next 3 yr u will found it with IIT tag.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free