I want to request the solution for question no. 12. I tried solving it by finding the equation of normal at parametric point P and putting y= 0 but didn't get the answer. What's wrong with it?

I want to request the solution for question no. 12. I tried solving it by finding the equation of normal at parametric point P and putting y= 0 but didn't get the answer. What's wrong with it?

Question Image
Grade:11

1 Answers

Samyak Jain
333 Points
5 years ago
Let coordinates of point P on the hyperbola be (a sec\large \Theta, b tan\large \Theta).
\thereforeΒ the coordinates of the foot of perpendicular N are (a sec\large \Theta, 0).
Differentiate the equation of the hyperbola and replaceΒ a sec\large \ThetaΒ andΒ b tan\large \ThetaΒ in place of x and y respectively.
You will get slope of tangent to the hyperbola at point P
as (b cosec\large \Theta/ a).
Then equation of the tangent is y – b tan\large \ThetaΒ =Β (b cosec\large \Theta/ a)(x – a sec\large \Theta).
Put x = 0 in the above equation to get cooordinates of T(which is on x-axis).
TΒ \equivΒ (a cos\large \Theta, 0)
Now, N(a sec\large \Theta, 0), T(a cos\large \Theta, 0), O(0,0),
by distance formula,
OT =Β \sqrt{(a cos\large \Theta – 0)2 – (0 – 0)2}Β  = a cos\large \ThetaΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β   …. (1)
andΒ ON =Β \sqrt{(a sec\large \Theta – 0)2 – (0 – 0)2}Β  = a sec\large \ThetaΒ  Β  Β  …. (2)Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 
From (1) & (2),
OT . ONΒ  =Β  a cos\large \ThetaΒ .Β a sec\large \ThetaΒ Β 
\thereforeΒ Β Β OT . ONΒ  =Β  a2
Pls approve.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free