Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

we know that the phenoxide ion has more resonating structuers than the carboxylate ion, then why is phenol less acidic than carboxylic acid ?????????

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

You shld know that, resonance stabilisation  exists for both . 

for carboxylic acid -conjugate base -(2 equal resonance structures )        
and   for  phenoxide - 5 resonance structures. ( but in these 5  , 3structures lose aromaticity ,
hence contribute less)

hence ,the hybrid stability decreases as compared to  carboxylate ion.  
          basicity-    phenoxide > carboxylate
          acidity-      carboxylic acid > phenol              

The proof- carboxylic acid reacts with Na2CO3,  PHENOL DOESnt

any kind of doubts are most welcome through this portal

best of luck

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

how no. of pie bonds will effect heat of hydrogenation ? is it inceases with their number & what is i’s significance?
Heat of Hydrogenation is Heat of hydrogenation is inversely proportional the stability of alkenes. and directly proportional to the number of pi bonds. And all H2 addition is the syn....
Vikas TU one month ago
Write differences between double salt and common salt.
Double salts are formed by mixture of two normal or simple salts obtained through crystallization. for example-dolomite. Common salt is the common name of NaCl and isan example of normal...
Mudit 2 months ago
Please provide me with some mnemonics for organic chemistry so that I can learn some of the difficult reactions easily.
Nishant Vora 3 months ago
@ nilay how can we construct mnemonics for remembering the reaction , i am sorry to say there are no mnemonics avaliable for learning the organic name reaction . what u have to do for that...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Metal hydride non metal hydride acidic or basic metal oxide nonmetal oxide acidic or basic?
Metal hydride is basic since it produces H - ion as metal are more electopositive than Hydrogen,while non-metal hydride is acidic since it produces H + ion asnon- metal are less...
Pranav Dabhade 10 days ago
What is the difference between Tate of reaction and rate of disappearence of one reactant
@ satheesh what u need to understand is that , suppose you are doing a reaction . so, u must have some reactant initially , and after some period of time the reactant will going to form...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
For expressing the rate of a reaction where stoichiometric coefficients of reactant or products are not equal to one,rate of disappearance of any of the reactants or the rate of appearance...
Anjitha 3 months ago
Order of incresing solubility of agcl in other solutions
@ chandana your ques is incomplete , so, kindly recheck the ques and do get back to us . and i am assuming it to be the solution of water , nacl , bacl2 and NH3 . so, acc to the common ion...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
U will have to tell the solutions name. in which U want to arrange the order of increasing solubility of AgCl.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn