ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

3 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what are different types of reducing agents for reduction of aldehydes&ketones to alcohols

The reduction of an aldehyde You get exactly the same organic product whether you use lithium tetrahydridoaluminate or sodium tetrahydridoborate. For example, with ethanal you get ethanol:...

abhimanyu 2 months ago

The reaction product of the reduction of an aldehyde is a primary alcohol and that of a ketone a secondary alcohol . Reagents are lithium aluminium hydride , diisobutylaluminium hydride ,...

vineet chatterjee 2 months ago
Why is the IUPAC name of the following organic compound is 1,5dimethylcyclopentene and not 2,3dimethylcyclopentene

to give nomencleture of cyclo compound. you must strat numbering from the group with higher priority..then further numbering should continue with orthi,meta and para positions from right...

mohit 7 months ago

Please find the attachment

Shivam Maheshwari 8 months ago
which is more reactive toward electrophilic aromatic substitution: Ph-OH or Ph-OR and why....

--OR group has +R effect and _I effect..Thus for electrophilic aromatic substitution Ph-OH is more reactive because of greater _I effect of OH as compared to OR..

Bhubesh 2 months ago

Ph-OR , because it -R also has some +I effect.

daksh 2 months ago
2.5 F of elec is passes thru a soln of CuSo4.the no of gm equivalents of Cu deposited on the cathode will be.?

The number of Gm-equivalents=Mass of Cu/Equivalent weight Equivalent equivalent weight=Atomic weight /n-factor n-factor=number of electrons per one atom of Cu As we know the mass deposzsited...
  img
Naveen Kumar 4 months ago

The deposition of Cu can be given as: Cu2+............+ 2e-................>Cu(s) the number of electron involved =2 for making one mole of Cu As we know that one mole of electron having...
  img

sir but the ans is 2.5

Shriya Mehrotra 4 months ago
silver metal crystalline with a face centred cubic lattice the lenght of unit cell in found tobethe value 4.077x10 -8 m.ca;culate the atomic radius and density of silver {atomic mass of...

“silver metal crystalline with a face centred cubic lattice the lenght of unit cell in found tobethe value 4.077x10-8m.ca;culate the atomic radius and density of silver {atomic mass of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago

we have density of the fcc=z*M/a^3*Na z=no of atom fro fcc it is 4 M= molecular mass Na=avagadro number a=edge length for face centered cubic unit cell=sqrt2...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
find n factor of h2so4 in(yes it is unbalanced equation is it necessary to make it balance?) pbo2+pb+h2so4=pbso4+h2o

yes true............. If alternatively we can see that for 2 moles of h2so4, one mole of pb is changing from 0 to +2 so for 1 h2so4, +1 is the change and so is the n-factor. Thanks for your...
  img

First of all you need to understand about the balencing equation. Without balencing it you should not proceed further. FOR CALCULATING n-FACTOR, WE SHOULD HAVE CHANGE IN OXIDATION STATE PER...
  img

The ionic reactions of the given reaction are PbO 2 + SO 4 -2 + 4H + + 2e - = PbSO 4 + 2H 2 O Pb + SO 4 2- = PbSO 4 + 2e therefore the net reaction becomes Pb + PbO 2 + 2 h 2 SO 4 = 2PbSO 4...

Himaja 4 months ago
View all Questions »