ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

3 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
i am very confuse double bond/triple bond is preferred over ether or opposite happens plzz help me..

Dear student kindly again post your question claerly as it is neccessary to know in what respect you are asking about double or triple bond preferrence over one other.It will only then clear...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Dear student as per IUPAC nomenclature,according to order of priority of various groups alkenes and alkynes with double or triple bonds respectively will be preffered over the ethers which...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Aarti mam in some book I have read tht ETHER is preferred over double nd triple bond and in other books opposite of the above fact so i just want to come confirm wht does generally happen?

Mohammad Kavish 2 months ago
what is the general name of CH2

It has no common neme.......its a hydrocarbon .It is just a group of carbon and hydrogen atoms .It's name is methylene group. There are names for c2h2 etc

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya 3 months ago

there is no general name of ch2 it is just counted as one carbon when we do iupac nomenclature of different compunds approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago

Its no compound. Its just a group and its formulated name is Methylene group.

Yash Jain 3 months ago
Almost all the earths energy supply comes from what? Update: earths interior the sun carbon dioxide the oceans

the sun some comes from geothermal and some from nuclear (fossil fuel energy still comes from the sun)

vikas yadav 3 months ago

The sun

UPINDERJEET SINGH 3 months ago

conssider too Nuclear energy from radioactive elements in the earth's mantle/core

vikas yadav 3 months ago
silicon dissolves in excess of HF due to formation of?

because here it has been given for excess of HF thus your answer is wrong here acc to me 6HF will be reacting

grenade one month ago

the product would have been H 2 SiF 6

grenade one month ago

@ K Keerthirajan it’s wrong

grenade one month ago
why is the equivalent weight of mohr’s salt 1?

Mohr’s salt is ferrous ammonium sulphate and its an reducing agent.The equivalent weight of Mohr’s salt is 392 which is equal to its molecular weight.This is due to the fact that...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Mohr’s salt is ferrous ammonium sulphate and its an reducing agent.The equivalent weight of Mohr’s salt is 392 which is equal to its molecular weight equi. wt. of mohr salt = 392...

Sai Sampath one month ago

equi. wt. of mohr salt = 392 because Equivalent weight of Mohr salt = Mol. Wt./ no. of equivalents. = 392 / 1. = 392 . approve if useful

ankit goyal 2 months ago
Compound A is [Cr(NH 3 ) 4 ClBr]Cl Comound B is [Cr(NH 3 ) 4 Cl 2 ]Br Question is attached with the image! [ALTSM 01/03 Q90] Pls show how you calculated EAN.

EAN=24-3+2*6=33 ATOMIC NO.---24 OXIDATION STATE---3 COORDINATION NO.---6 FOR BOTH THE EAN VALUE WILL BE SAME

nipun jain 3 months ago

ans is option 1

nipun jain 3 months ago
View all Questions »