ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

3 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
DPP C-26 Q.No.17 A mixture of camphor and benzoic acid can be separated by- the answer given is chemical method. But I think the correct answer is sublimation. Kindly advice.

By the process of sublimation, as camphor is...
  img
Harishwar 7 months ago

Thank you sir

Pranav Pramod Menon 3 months ago
Why is the IUPAC name of the following organic compound is 1,5dimethylcyclopentene and not 2,3dimethylcyclopentene

to give nomencleture of cyclo compound. you must strat numbering from the group with higher priority..then further numbering should continue with orthi,meta and para positions from right...

mohit 7 months ago

Please find the attachment

Shivam Maheshwari 9 months ago
properties OF PRIMARY ALCOHOLS

Properties of primary alcohol – They give red colour ppt in Victor Meyer Test . They do not give ppt in lucas test . have less bp than secondary adn tertiary alcohol . Highly favoured for...

Drake 8 days ago

primary alcohol they do not give turbidity with anhydrous ZnCl2 (lucas test) also they they give red ppt in VICTOR MAYER TEST

ng29 5 days ago

they does not give LUCAS TEST (reaction with anhydrous ZnCl2) approve if useful approve if useful

ng29 10 days ago
how make easy to learn physical chemistry

Physical chemistry is mostly thermodynamics and quantum mechanics, so, yeah, lots of equations and math. Not necessarily easier, but definitely a different style of chemistry than O-chem....
  img
Saurabh Kumar one month ago

if you try to understand the apllications of Physical Chemsiry in real world, you will like the subject and you wiil enjoy with the topics of physical chemsitry. for example: Osmosis,...

suresh one month ago

if you try to understand the apllications of Physical Chemsiry in real world, you will like the subject and you wiil enjoy with the topics of physical chemsitry. for example: Osmosis,...

suresh one month ago
Which is the hardest substance ? why is it so?

Diamond is regarded as the hardest known material in the world.But now scientists have calculated that a material called as lonsdaleite which is also called hexagonal diamond, since...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago

Diamond no longer nature's hardest material The gemstone lost its title of the "world's hardest material" to man-made nanomaterials some time ago. Now a rare natural...
  img
Raheema Javed 5 months ago

diamond.........it has a tetra hedral shape of carbon which is not easy to break also its shape is symmetrical which is always favoured by our nature That’s what i think

parv 5 months ago
Why hydration of metals ar compounds is exothermic reaction ?, Also I need the reason from the moicular structure.

Hello Student, Hydration is the process of solvation of an ion by water molecules. When metals are dissolved in water , they get ionized and the cation formed undergo hydration. Hydration of...
  img
Gaurav 4 months ago
View all Questions »