Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off
USE CODE: MOB20

i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

4 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

define Avogadro 's law

Avogadro's law states that, "equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules". For a given mass of an ideal gas , the volume and amount...

KUNCHAM SAMPATH 11 months ago

- Avogadro's law states that, "equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules". For a given mass of an ideal gas , the volume and amount ...

KARTHIK 10 months ago

Avogadro's law states that, "equal volumes of all gases, at the same temperature and pressure, have the same number of molecules". For a given mass of an ideal gas, the volume and amount...

PAVAN 10 months ago
IUPAC NAME OF THE THIS ORGANIC COMPOUND BUTERALDEHYDE?PLEASE TELL ME.

Butyraldehyde is an organic compound with the formula CH 3 (CH 2 ) 2 CHO. IUPAC name of this compound is Butanal. This compound is the aldehyde derivative of butane . It is a colourless...

Prabhakar ch 7 months ago

Hello Sathya Narayana The formyl group is a functional group, with the structure R-CHO, consisting of a carbonyl center (a carbon double bonded to oxygen) bonded to hydrogen and an R group, ...

Gaddam Chethan 7 months ago

hello raju Butyraldehyde is an organic compound with the formula CH 3 (CH 2 ) 2 CHO. IUPAC name of this compound is Butanal. This compound is the aldehyde derivative of butane . It is a...

raj 6 months ago
The no. Of oxygen atoms present in 14.6gm of magnesium bicarbonate

HI FRIEND....... Now iam solved it, I Got the answer is THREE ThankS Friend............... ALL THE BEST

mohan 24 days ago
Sir how to learn inorganic chemestry from where i can learn its concepts? please help

@ anirudh inorganic chemistry is full of conceptual thing and learning the reactions , in inorganic , all the chapters are interlinked with each other and with that , u have to start with...

Umakant biswal 2 days ago
Sterioisomers (geometrical and optical) of compound CH3CH=CHCH2CH(OH)COOH

@ utkarsha there are total of 4 isomers possible in that compound , geometrical isomers = 2 optical isomers = 2 HOPE U GET IT ALL THE BEST ///

Umakant biswal 2 days ago
What is a fuel cell...................................................?

Galvanic cells that convert energy of combustion of fuels like hydrogen, methane, methanol etc directly into electrical energy are called fuel cells.

SAI SARDAR 21 days ago

@ RAM A fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity through a chemical reaction of positively charged hydrogen ions with oxygen or another oxidizing ...

Umakant biswal 20 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts