ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

3 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Glycerol is oxidized by bismuth nitrate to produce : oxalic acid Mesooxalic acid Glyceric acid Glyoxalic acid

Glycerol is an trihydric alcohol whose IUPAC name is propane-1, 2, 3-triol.It gives different oxidation products depending on the nature of oxidizing agent.With bismuth nitrate,it gives...
  img
Aarti Gupta 23 days ago

Thanks for the answer I'm searching for the proper soln of it....

Aditya Sharma 23 days ago
preparation properties uses of nitrobenzene

benzene +HNO 3 ------------- -------------------- nitro benzene + h2o (conc H2SO4 333K) toulene + HNO 3 ------------------------------------ o nitro toulene + p nitro toulene (conc H2SO4...

ng29 22 days ago

Aromatic compounds can be directly nitrated using a mixture of concentrated nitric acid and sulphuric acid. This reaction is an example of electrophilic substitution of benzene. The...

ng29 22 days ago
An organic compound of molecular formula C3H6O did not give a silver mirror with Tollen's reagent, but gave an oxime with hydroxylamine, it may be – (A) CH3 — CO — CH3 (B) C2H5CHO (C) CH2 =...

Only compounds with CH3-CO- group give silver mirror with tollens reagent thus the answer is A

Umang Rastogi 11 days ago

Umang Rastogi: Thank you :)

HP 10 days ago
The inversion of cane sugar proceeds with constant half life of 500 minute at pH = 5 for any concentration of sugar. However, if pH = 6, the half life changes to 50 minute. Derive the rate...

This is explained as followsWe are given that the half life at pH = 5 and at any concentration of sugar is 50 minutes while the half life at pH = 6 and any concentration of sugar is 500...
  img
Ramreddy 8 months ago

I’m a bit confused... First, you said that “ This clearly means that the half life is independent of the concentration of sugar and depends on the concentration of hydrogen ion. ” . Then you...

Shibashis Mallik 8 months ago
In the reaction 2Clf3= Cl2 + 3f2, how is dissociation of Clf3 favoured by increase in volume of container?

dissociation is favored by an increase in the volume of the container because here 2 mole of CLF3 dissociates into 1 mole of chlorine and 3 mole of F2 no of mole on the right hand side is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago
CO2 is a gas,while silica is a solid.Explain....?

Hi student Gaseous state occurs when there are weaker bonds in between the molecules as compare to the solids where strong bonds are present . Same case is there in case of CO 2 and SiO 2....
  img
Anjali Ahuja 6 months ago

Co2 is a gas because of its symmetrical shape and it is without polarity whereas SiO2 has different types of bond .it can easily form network bonds and in other words the bonds are polar in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
View all Questions »