i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

2 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
An organic compound A , molecular formula C6H10 , decolourises bromine water. A on reduction forms 2-methyl butane and on ozonolysis yields ethanal and propanone. Identify the compound A and...

actually your question should be C5H10 thanks and regards sunil kr askIItian faculty
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 months ago

ya, there is C5H10, mistake hi gayi

Indu 4 months ago

alkene

thyaga 4 months ago
if there is hydrogen bonding between nitro and oh then meta nitrophenol must b stronger acid than p ????????????? plz ans y meta is weaker

Nitro group is an electron withdrawing group and thus it attracts the electron density of the ring and also affects the O-H bond of the alcohol group due to the resonance so that the Oxygen...
  img
sumit kumar 26 days ago
formic acid is stronger than the acetic acid.give reason?

In formic acid,H atom hsving I =0 is attached with -COOH group which does not change the ionisation of the acid. But, -CH3 group attached with -COOH group in CH3-COOH has +ve inductive...

akarsh 6 months ago

In formic acid,H atom having I =0 is attached with -COOH group which does not change ... Hence,formic acid is stronger acid than acetic acid.

chandrika 6 months ago

Acidity can be analyzed by examining the corresponding conjugate base vis-a-vis study of available/active electronic effects on its stability.

sachin 5 months ago
how many faradays are required for reduction os C6H5NO2 into C6H5NH2

C6H5NO2 + 6H (in the presence of Sn and HCl)——————→ C6H5NH2 + 2H2O for conversion of 1 mole of nitrpbenzene 6 mole of electron are required charge on...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 13 days ago
Hello sir, My brother is preparing for IIT-JEE -2016. He has just take admission in class 11 th and coaching. for physical chemistry he has started with ncert, p Bahadur and R c mikherjee....

only OP TANDON book on physical chemistry is enough but if you want to solve much problem then go for only one book for numericals that is P bahadur more than enough for clearing physical...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 days ago

solve essential physical chemistry by ranjeet shai

tushar mehta 5 days ago

mere question ka answer nehi to

tushar mehta 5 days ago
How to find a Molucular formula of a gas using Euidometry? 1) 20ml of gas containing H and S was heated with tin. When reaction was over, no change in volume was observed. Hydrogen was the...

Eudiometry:-Eudiometry means gas analysis. It means in this type of numericals either you have to find out vol. of GAS From the data given in question or you have to find out any other thing...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 days ago
View all Questions »