i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

2 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
The number of isomers for the compound with molecular formula C2BrClFl is : (a) 3 (b) 4 (c) 5 (d) 6

There will be 6 isomers possible for this formula. take two halogens on any one of doubly bonded carbon and u would have three possible combination. For each of this three structure each one...
  img
Naveen Kumar 8 days ago
why ethlene is called as OLEFIENT GAS?

Ethylene is flammable gas with sweet and musky odour.Hence it is called as OLIFIANT gas.

krishna 2 months ago
This is a question from BIOMOLECULES asked in jee 2012 (pls see the attachment for the question) in that why was V(fifth) bit not included in the answer even though it has an amino group....

Bear in mind that both an amine and an amide are Lewis bases as they both have a lone pair of electrons. However, the basicity of amides is far lower than that of amines. What makes an amide...
  img
Harishwar one month ago
400 ml of oxygen at 27 c are cooled to -15c at constant pressure .calculate the contraction

V`/V = T`/T = 288/300 V` = (400 x 288)/300 = 384 ml. contraction = 16 ml = 16/400 x 100 = 4`/. .

Chirag Goel 11 days ago
Sir, can you explain this figure? I cant understand.

see the energy of sigma 2p and pi2p are very close to each other.The electronic configuration from oxygen to neon are as follows -----@2px pi2py pi*2py sigma 2px pi2pz pi*2pz for for lighter...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 13 days ago
I in case of CF3I has a partial charge of +1 and in case of CH3I has a partial charge of -1. Why? I know it is related to electronegativity but please explain!

IN case of CF3I it dissociates as CF3- and I+ the charge on iodine is +1 whereas CH3I dissociates as CH3+ and I- the charge in case of I- is -1.see as the electronegativity of flourine is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
View all Questions »