DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

i have read that in SN2 reactions, a good nucleophile is preferred, whereas in E2 reactions, a good base is preferred.how can i tell at a glance, the difference between a good base and a good nucleophile?also, please give me a list of both?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

A good nucleophile is always a good base, but it is not necessary that a good base is always a good nucleophile. Other factors like bulk of base, steric effects r effects the overall nucleophilicity oif the base. If u use a bulky and strong base, surely E2 product dominates in Sn2 substitutuion. However is u use light strong base, Sn2 product dominates.     

3 years ago

the properties of a good nucleophile : 

1. high electon density on central atom.

2. less sterically hindered.

e.g. OH- , RO- 

the properties of a good base: 

high Kb

* A good nucleophile can also be a good base.

* wheather SN2 takes place or E2 depends on nature of both substrate and reagent(nucleophile), 

first observe substrate- primery , sedcondry or tertiery

then if its primery , see if its hindered or not

if its hindered then surely elimination takes place (nucleophile will not substitute due to steric reasons)

if its not hindered then see if the nucleophile is hinderded or not .

if either of two (substrate or nucleophile) is hindered then E2 takes place , OR Sn2 takes place.

Secondary substrate : elimination will be major if nucleophile is good base

tertiery substrate : elimination.

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
the simpest way to find bond angle

The simplest way to find bond angle is by determining the hybridization of the compound. for example sp2 hydridization having one central atom and 3 bonding atoms, bond angle is 120...

Neeti 3 days ago
compare the stability of the following compounds, (i) (a) ph-ch2(free radical) (b)(ch3)3c(free radical) (c)ch3-ch(free radical)-ch3 (d)ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) (ii)(a) ch2=ch(free radical)...

ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) is an allyl i mistook it for vinyl. allyls are more reactive than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyls are less reactive. ch2=ch(free radical) is a...

sufi digital 8 months ago

actually i meant allyls are more stable than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyl is less stable. allyls are stabalised by resonance but vinyls are not. by mistake i wrote...

sufi digital 8 months ago

and for the second question,answer is ph-ch2(free radical)> ch3-ch2(free radical)>ch2=ch(free radical)>ph(free radical)> ch(triple bond)c(free radical)

vineet chatterjee 8 months ago
Dear Sirs The question is arrange the given in increasing ionic radii. Na+, Li+, Mg2+, Be2+ (The given sequence is actually also the ansewer). While comparing Na+ and Mg2+ I know that Na+...

Hi Student For isoelectronic species the cation with high positive charge has less atomic radii because of increase in the Z effective from the nucleus
  img
Harishwar 7 days ago

see, these are exceptions kind of. Li is in the second period and we know that second period elements show anomalous behaviour. you are right in saying that Mg has an extra shell but you...

Neeti 3 days ago

thanks sir for the answer. But i already know how to compare isoelectronic species . What i want to know is that how to compare Mg2+(10e) and Li+(2) in terms of ionic radii. they are not...

Shiv Shukla 6 days ago
what is isomerism

Isomerismis the phenomenon whereby certain compounds, with the same molecular formula, exist in different forms owing to their different organisations of atoms. The concept of isomerism...
  img
Avinash 5 days ago

ISOMERS – Molecules having same molecular formula but differs in their structure. Ex : C 2 H 5 – OH, CH 3 – O – CH 3 have same molecular formula. please approve my answer

A M S ARUN KRISHNA 4 days ago
if different solutions with different concentrations were given,howto find which solution has highest osmotic pressure

Osmotic pressure arises when two solutions of different concentrations,or a pure solvent and a solution are separated by a semipermeable membrane.Then molecules can pass through the...
  img
Aarti Gupta 16 days ago
identify the least stable among the following a.Li - B - Be- C-

Among the following species Be- will be least stable because-- Be has atomic no. 4 thus configuration is 1s 2 ,2s 2 .Configuration indicates that its 2s sub-shell is fully-filled so it will...
  img
Aarti Gupta 16 days ago
can sum1 explain me what why will be the structure of Cu(Cl)2- complex be ..with reasons.

Copper(II) chloride is the chemical compound with the chemical formula CuCl2. This is a light brown solid, which slowly absorbs moisture to form a blue-green dihydrate. The copper(II)...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 9 months ago

But in prabhat kumar it was given that since cl is a weak ligand it cannot pair up the electrons and the structure will be TETRAHEDRAL .can u please explain me in terms of VBT i.e....

sameer gupta 9 months ago
View all Questions »