Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off
USE CODE: CART20

what is wurtz reaction?

why is the same compound written twice?

why is Na added?

what do you mean by 'even number of carbon atoms' as the product of this reaction?

what exactly  happens when two different types of alkyl halides are taken?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

The Wurtz reaction is an organic reaction used to couple two alkyl halides to form an alkane using sodium metal. The mechanism begins with a single electron transfer (SET) from sodium metal to the alkyl halide, which dissociates to form an alkyl radical and sodium halide salt. Another molecule of sodium performs another SET to the alkyl radical to form a nucleophilic carbanion. The carbanion then attacks another molecule of alkyl halide in a nucleophilic substitution reaction (SN2) to form the final coupled product and another molecule of sodium halide salt.

One electron from the metal is transferred to the halogen to produce a metal halide and an alkyl radical.

R–X + M → R• + M+X−

The alkyl radical then accepts an electron from another metal atom to form an alkyl anion and the metal becomes cationic. This intermediate has been isolated in several cases.

R• + M → R−M+

The nucleophilic carbon of the alkyl anion then displaces the halide in anSN2 reaction, forming a new carbon-carbon covalent bond.

R−M++ R–X → R–R + M+X−

Using two different alkyl halides will lead to an approximately statistical mixture of products.If two dissimilaralkyl halidesare taken as reactants, then the product is a mixture of alkanes that is often difficult to separate as the difference in the boiling points of the products is very low in these cases, making distillation unusable.
2 months ago

Post Your Answer

Why +I group increases bascitiy and delocalization of l.p. increases basicity..???

+I groups are those groups which delocalize the electron pair away from itself. Therefore a partial + charge + appears on the group and - on the carbon to which it is attached.Now when a +I ...

Neeti 10 months ago

absolutely. :) which part was not clear? the delocalization right? see, nitrogen, oxygen, these atoms when in the form of a compound, have lone pairs. they can donate these lone pairs to...

Neeti 10 months ago

No No, i thought the same but then i thought that you must be talking about the group itself which is showing delocalization and that is also showing basicity. see in case of...

Neeti 10 months ago
what is allotropy:?

the phenomenon of existence of an element in different physical forms but having similar chemical properties

pa1 8 months ago

the existance of an element in other physical forms but different in chemical properties is called allotory.

Eswar 8 months ago

The existence of two or more different physical forms of a chemical element is termed as allotropy.

Ayush garg 8 months ago
WHAT IS SN 2 REACTIONS ? AND HOW TO FIND THESE REACTIONS ?

A nucleophillic substitution in which rate depends on concentrations of both alkyl halide and nucleophile is called S N 2 reaction Eg : CH 3 Br + OH − → CH 3OH + Br − • It is second order...

T.kumar 6 months ago

The S N 2 reaction is a type of reaction mechanism that is common in organic chemistry. In this mechanism, one bond is broken and one sn2 reaction is known as second order nucleophilic...

raj kumar 4 months ago

NUCLEOPHILIC SUBSTITUTION REACTIONS ARE CALLED S N 2 REACTIONS IN THIS REACTION A NUCLEOPHILE IS SUBSTITUTED IN THIS REACTIONS RATE OF THE REACTION IS INCREASES FROM THIRD ORDER TO FIRST...

RAMCHANDRARAO 6 months ago
What is orbital? What is its difference with orbit? I need complete explanation along with image if any?Asking this because I am not able to understand the bookish definition.thanks in...

An Orbit is the path of an electron around the nucleus of an atom. An Orbital is the 3 dimensional space where the probablity of finding an electron around the nucleus is maximum. In other...

SAHIL one month ago

orbit is the path of an electron which is aroud the nucli of atom for example eliptical orbit orbital is the place where the maximam probability of finding an electron for example s,p,d,f...

VAISHNAVI one month ago

Orbit is a path in which the electrons are revolve and Orbital is a shape at which the electrons are maximum

T Vennela one month ago
first element in periodic table

HYDROGEN IS THR first element in periodic table

Gavvala Ganesh 8 months ago

actualy hydrogen is the first element but some times hydrogen is not considered in the periodic table

kalyan 8 months ago

HYDROZEN IS THE FIRST ELEMENT IN P T HYDROZEN SPEACIAL CHARACTERISTICS

L GOUSE BASHA 8 months ago
why sodiumaluminate is formed but NaFeO 2 is not formed?

sodiumaluminate formed because of aluminium is ampoteric nature and not soulibil in water so the reason formed

T.kumar 8 months ago

Moreover the formation of NaFeO2 and thus the loss of soda due to ... Nevertheless, the formation of sodium silicate is not appreciated because it is soluble in water, contaminates the...

raj kumar 4 months ago

HELLO sai... naal02 is formed but Nafe02 not formed because of the both are in professional network. and the relationship between the beta and gamma polymorphs has not been described .. and ...

salvathshaik 4 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 6,000 off
USE CODE: int40

Get extra R 400 off
USE CODE: CART20

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts