Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off

Why are phenols stronger acid than water?

7 years ago

Answers : (3)

because after dissociation phenoxide ion formed is much stable due to resonance than the hydroxide ion.

7 years ago

because after loosing  H+ pheno oxide is formed which is more stable as compared to phenol after losing h+ in h2o there is no resonance

7 years ago

Dear Sumit,

Two of the factors which influence the ionisation of an acid are:

• the strength of the bond being broken,

• the stability of the ions being formed.

In these cases, you seem to be breaking the same oxygen-hydrogen bond each time, and so you might expect the strengths to be similar.

But the second criteria dominates here. The negative charge on the Oxygen is well stablized within the Benzene ring due to Resonance while there is no factor reducing the effect of negative charge on oxygen in case of water.

Thank you.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

The p orbital of the cahrged carbon in the isopropyl cation contains how many electrons?
Dear student Here p orbital refers to pure p orbital of C which contains 0 electron.
Bhavya one month ago
what are exactly optical isomers ?how can we identify them?
Optical isomerism is a form of Stereoisomerism.These are the molecule that differ three dimensionally by the placement of substituents around one or more atom in a molecule.Optical isomers...
prasan 2 months ago
@ diptesh Plastic optical fiber (POF) (or Polymer optical fibre) is an optical fiber that is made out of polymer . Similar to glass optical fiber, POF transmits light (for illumination or...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Optical isomers are those isomers which should posses no POS. .i.e. No Plane of symmetry and No Axis of symmtery. Then only it would be considered as optically active isomers. . And for...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Sir, when it comes to organic chemo we have many equations. I wanted to know if ncert organic chemistry can get me a rank in aiims/neet.
@ sakshi organic chemistry have many equations , but if you have done it clearly in class 11 th , then it will not be difficult for you for sure . so , for that at least do reaction...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Except F2 all the halogens forms the oxides. Cl has largest number of synthesis of oxides. Examples: Cl2O, ClO2, Cl2O6, Cl2O7 Br2O, BrO3, BrO2C. I2O5 , I2O7. the synthesis reaction would...
Vikas TU 3 days ago
Current of 10 ampere is passed through solution of CuSO4 for 32 min 10 sec.If 896 ml of Oxygen is liberated at STP then what will be efficiency of the cell.
Dear Candidate, I already answered this qstn. plz check this below: from faraday’s law, moles x valence factor = i*t/F moles = i*t/F*n = 10*1930/2*96485 = 0.100 approx. Moles given at STP = ...
Vikas TU one month ago
The n factor for potassium ferro cyanide in acidic medium
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
n factor is the no of electron transfer for single atom or the oxidation state of central atom . in the complex K4{FE(CN)6} 4(1) +X +6(-1) =0 X-2 =0 SO, X= +2 SO, HERE its n factor is +2 in ...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn