Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off

Why do non-polar solvents tend to increase the enol content?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Solvent effects on the rate of the keto–enol interconversion of 2-nitrocyclohexanone

The rates of tautomerization of 2-nitrocyclohexanone (2-NCH) have been measured spectrophotometrically at 25.0 ± 0.1 °C in several organic aprotic solvents and their binary mixtures. In cyclohexane the reaction is effectively catalyzed by bases and inhibited by acids while the so-called spontaneous reaction appears essentially due to autocatalysis. Apparent second order rate constants (kappB) for the reaction catalyzed by triethylamine (TEA) and pyridine (Pyr) have been obtained. From the experimental kappB values rate constants for the enolization (k1B) and ketonization (k-1B) reactions have been calculated. A Kamlet–Taft type linear solvation energy relationship (LSER) adequately accounts for the observed solvent effects. Activation parameters for both reactions show that solvent effects are mainly entropic in origin and that there is a shift of the transition state from a ketone-like to an enol-like structure on passing from less to more polar solvents.

Graphical abstract image for this article  (ID: b813011f)

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

NOTES IWANT SIR IWANT NOTES CAN YOU HELP me for my icse 10 board examination sir
Hi Go to the below mentioned link for revision notes Thanks
Nishant Vora 2 months ago
@ abhi KIndly mention the chapter for which u want the notes for icse board . only then we can help u meaningfully . askiitian is their to help everyone , so, u can always check the notes...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Which of the following order is incorrect for given property?
Dear student A option is not visible clearly.Kindly resend.
Bhavya one month ago
“C” since, first conjugate base in Ist compond is stabalised by H-bonding hence it is strongest acid hence given order is incorrect.
Pranav Dabhade one month ago
What are axial bond in book it is staed there are only sigma and pi bond so what is axial bond?
@ mayank the bonds in the vertical plane are aligned in the direction of the axis, and are called axial bonds. actually axial position refers to the position perpendicular to the plane of...
Umakant biswal one month ago
The molecule MLxMLx is planar with 7 pairs of electrons around M in the valence shell . The value of x is :....
@ simran there are two metal atoms , so, that means 2 x pairs . and they have 7 valence electron . so, 3 electron for each means it remained with 1 electron that can be paired with other...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
What is the graphical representation of Graham`s law of diffusion
Rate 2 is the rate of effusion for the second gas. M 1 is the molar mass of gas. 1- M 2 is the molar mass of gas Graham's law states that the rate of effusion or of diffusion of a gas is...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Hello Ratul, check this Askiitian link to know about the Graham's law of Diffusion.
Vikas TU one month ago
Please provide all the formulaes used in Equilibrium chapter . I have gone through the study material thoroughly but not able to get what I needed. So please mention all the formulas used in...
@ sahil for formula u have to visit our revision notes section , not the study material section , and i am sure all of the formula will must be enlisted their . and just go through the...
Umakant biswal 3 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn