Variation of total ionization energies of Al(n+) as a function of n from n=1 to n=8. Explain the discontinuity in your curve.

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

The discontinuity in the curve would be present at Al+ , Al3+ , Al6+ (All these are stabilised states due to completely or half filled atomic subshells). Al3+ is the greatly stabilised due to noble gas configuration. A+ sue to half filled s subshell and Al6+ due to half filled p subshell.

Other than this thse discontinuities, the ionization enthalpies would increase with oxn state as effective nuclear chrge would increase. 

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
can hybridisation can be of type d 3 s

yes there can be hybridisation of d^3s type.but in this the ns orbital will combine with (n-1)d orbital and not with the same shell.the reason is the large difference in energy and secondly...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
why does methyl chloride gives methyl cyanide on treatment with KCN and methyl isocyanide on treatment with AgCN

Because KCN is predominantly has ionic characterand provides cyanide ions in the solution. Although both carbon and nitrogen atoms are in position to donate electron pairs, the attack takes...

saurabh pathak 2 months ago
Question is attached... {ALTS-10 Q75}

ans -Cr+3 will impart colour to an aqueous solution
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
Q . WHICH IS THE DECREASING ORDER OF STABILITY OF THE IONS? (2)>(3)>(1) (1)>(2)>(3) (1)>(3)>(2) (3)>(1)>(2)

i am also getting the answer as (A) but the correct option is (C) in this case

bharat makkar 2 months ago

i think answer is c only because the carbocation there is stabilised by the lone pair of oxygen by backbonding and in second case there is deactivation by oxygen resulting highly unstablised...

daksh 2 months ago

oops sorry! dint see ur attachment...............ya even i think the answer is (a) in second one there is a chance of tautomerism and the third one is stabilized by the +Ieffect of alkyl...

Rakesh 2 months ago
why only uranium is used as atomic fual

Uranium is a very heavy metal which can be used as an abundant source of concentrated energy . The nucleus of the U-235 atom comprises 92 protons and 143 neutrons (92 + 143 = 235). When the...

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya 3 months ago

who said only uranium is used there are many other things which can be used out of which 2 imp are:- uranium-235 (U-235) and plutonium-239 (Pu-239) Most nuclear fuels contain heavy fissile...

Ashwin 3 months ago
What are the products formed when 2-methoxy propane reacts with conc HI

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

In the presence of conc.HI I think (CH3)2CH-OH changes to (CH3)2CH-I. Also since a secondary carbon is present SN 1 mechanism may occur then the products are different(CH3OH and (CH3)2CH-I)....

Himaja one month ago
View all Questions »