Variation of total ionization energies of Al(n+) as a function of n from n=1 to n=8. Explain the discontinuity in your curve.

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

The discontinuity in the curve would be present at Al+ , Al3+ , Al6+ (All these are stabilised states due to completely or half filled atomic subshells). Al3+ is the greatly stabilised due to noble gas configuration. A+ sue to half filled s subshell and Al6+ due to half filled p subshell.

Other than this thse discontinuities, the ionization enthalpies would increase with oxn state as effective nuclear chrge would increase. 

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
medical applications of s block elements??????????????????

Group 1 and Group 2 of periodic table comprises s- block elements.They play important role in biological systems. 1.Na +, K + ,Mg 2+ ,Ca 2+ ions are important componenets of intracellular as...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 days ago
BOHR SAID THAT THE ELECTRONS REVOLVE IN CIRCULAR PATH AND SOME OTHER IS SAYING SOME OTHER THINGS I AM CONFUSED CANU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT IS IT..AND HOW ELECTRON REVOLVES AROUND THE...

it is only electrons which move around nucleus as centrifugal and coloumb`s force balance each other.hereby making it to move it with constant velocity

vinayak 6 months ago

electrons revolve around the nuclues in circulars orbits only bcoz bohrs explained it clearly ......

Navin rockzzz 8 months ago

hai

Ramarao 8 months ago
hybridization of sulphur in SO3

Hybridization of S in SO 3 is sp 2. thanks&regards kamlesh kumar askiitians faculty
  img
Kamlesh Kumar 5 months ago

sp2 hybridised

Varun Acharya 5 months ago
formic acid is stronger than the acetic acid.give reason?

In formic acid,H atom hsving I =0 is attached with -COOH group which does not change the ionisation of the acid. But, -CH3 group attached with -COOH group in CH3-COOH has +ve inductive...

akarsh 6 months ago

In formic acid,H atom having I =0 is attached with -COOH group which does not change ... Hence,formic acid is stronger acid than acetic acid.

chandrika 6 months ago

Acidity can be analyzed by examining the corresponding conjugate base vis-a-vis study of available/active electronic effects on its stability.

sachin 5 months ago
In which of the following bonds are polar but molecule is non-polar? Give explanation. (1) 1,4-dimethoxy benzene (2) Sulphur hexa fluoride (3) Carbon tetra chloride (4) Carbon dioxide

ccl4-tetrahedral shape each polar bond cancels each others effect sf6-octahedral complete symmetry co2-linear ,polar bond and non polar molecule 1,4dimethoxy benzene1,4-Dimethoxybenzene has...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 days ago
What is the meaning of line that this compound is aromatically stabilized?

The stability of aromatic compounds arises because all bonding orbitals are filled and low in energy. If I have helped you please approve my answer!!

raunak samanta 3 months ago

Aromatic compounds are much stable than non- aromatic. for a compound to be aromatic : 1. It should be planar 2. It should have ( 4n + 2 ) Pi electrons.. where n= 0,1,2... i.e it should have...

Vignesh M 3 months ago

Aromatic compounds are much stable than non- aromatic. Why?

Drake 3 months ago
View all Questions »