Variation of total ionization energies of Al(n+) as a function of n from n=1 to n=8. Explain the discontinuity in your curve.

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

The discontinuity in the curve would be present at Al+ , Al3+ , Al6+ (All these are stabilised states due to completely or half filled atomic subshells). Al3+ is the greatly stabilised due to noble gas configuration. A+ sue to half filled s subshell and Al6+ due to half filled p subshell.

Other than this thse discontinuities, the ionization enthalpies would increase with oxn state as effective nuclear chrge would increase. 

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is the formal charge on N ,B . in B6N3H6.? not B3N3H6

-1 and+1

safoora 8 months ago

0 and 0

safoora 8 months ago

which answer is correct please tell me

safoora 8 months ago
A body travels 10 m along north, 5 m along west, 5 m along south and 5 v2 m along south east. The net displacement of the body is 5 v2 m (5+5 v2 ) m (20+5 v2) m zero

The given figure shows the path traversed by the body. Here it is evident that the net displacement is zero because the starting and ending points are the same. The net displacement of the...
  img
Vasantha Kumari 4 months ago

Regards, Nirmal SIngh Askiitians faculty
  img
Nirmal Singh. 4 months ago

img
Vasantha Kumari 4 months ago
Bond angle of hydrides of group 15 decreases from top to bottom . Why?

. All hydrides are pyramidal in shape. The bond angle decreases on moving down the group due to decrease in bond pair–bond pair repulsion.NH3 PH3 AsH3 SbH3 BiH3 107O 94O 92O 91O 90O
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
Sir, I am not able to grasp much of organic chemistry. The number of reagents and exceptions is so large (in JEE syllabus) that I am almost all jumbled up when I see a question in the exam....

see this is most impotant part of organic chemistry in which you have to have the full knowledge of what is the role of which reagent and what conditions it takes to follow the reactions,...
  img
Suraj Prasad 5 days ago
Why Acetaldehyde is more soluble than Formaldehyde in water !

There is no H-bonding in both Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde. So solubility depends on the vanderwaals forces of attractions which are proportional to molecular weight of compounds. Since MW...
  img
Ramreddy 5 days ago

@ramreddy sir , but then why Propanal is less soluble than Ethanal ? Also, in most of the texts we found that solublitity is inversely prop. to Hydrophobic(Alkyl) Part Conc. …

Navdeep Kumar 5 days ago
incorrect name of an alkyne a) propyne b) but-2-yne c) pent-3-yne d) but-1-yne

Among the followings the incorrect name of an alkyne is pent-3-yne ,as according to IUPAC nomenclature the functional group must get lower number.When we count the C-chain,the functional...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
View all Questions »