Variation of total ionization energies of Al(n+) as a function of n from n=1 to n=8. Explain the discontinuity in your curve.

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

The discontinuity in the curve would be present at Al+ , Al3+ , Al6+ (All these are stabilised states due to completely or half filled atomic subshells). Al3+ is the greatly stabilised due to noble gas configuration. A+ sue to half filled s subshell and Al6+ due to half filled p subshell.

Other than this thse discontinuities, the ionization enthalpies would increase with oxn state as effective nuclear chrge would increase. 

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Today, I studied slater's rules for calculating the effective nuclear charge. But, one particular line " The shielding power of the d and f orbital is lesser in comparison to the p and s...

Yes, Slater's rules does not take into account the orbitals for calculation of effective nuclear charge it takes the penultimate and pre penultimate shells for Zeff calculation....
  img
Ramreddy one month ago
CO is stable.But its analogue SiO,is not much.Give reasons...?

The difference of electronegativity between carbon and oxygen is not much as compared to the electronegativity deifference between silicon and oxygen.It leads to more polar bond and hence...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 11 days ago
medical applications of s block elements??????????????????

Group 1 and Group 2 of periodic table comprises s- block elements.They play important role in biological systems. 1.Na +, K + ,Mg 2+ ,Ca 2+ ions are important componenets of intracellular as...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago
hello, even though my chemistry tuition is very good and i understand everything that is being taught there at the time, i have not practiced regularly. now i’m pretty worried about my score...

Hi Student, Dont worry. Be positive . Still lot of time is left to practice for IITJee. Follow the following tips. Chemistry is one such subject which can assure you guaranteed marks in IIT...
  img
Harishwar 28 days ago

HI Student Don’t worry. Still you can work hard and get to your target Take one day and divide the whole syllabus into small packets and assign time and make proper timeline. Make...
  img
Harsh Patodia 28 days ago
In cannizaro reaction, after the heterolytic cleavage of the pi bond due to the attack of the OH - ion at the carbonyl carbon, the pi bond is reformed and a H- ion leaves. Why is it more...

http://www.askiitians.com/revision-notes/chemistry/aldehydeketone-and-carboxylic-acid/ . Please go through this...
  img
Harishwar one month ago

I found out the answer. The OH- attacks the electrophillic carbonyl carbon and the pi bond of the carbonyl oxygen is broken and the electron moves to the oxygen. Since the medium is basic in...

Amogh one month ago
View all Questions »