Variation of total ionization energies of Al(n+) as a function of n from n=1 to n=8. Explain the discontinuity in your curve.

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

The discontinuity in the curve would be present at Al+ , Al3+ , Al6+ (All these are stabilised states due to completely or half filled atomic subshells). Al3+ is the greatly stabilised due to noble gas configuration. A+ sue to half filled s subshell and Al6+ due to half filled p subshell.

Other than this thse discontinuities, the ionization enthalpies would increase with oxn state as effective nuclear chrge would increase. 

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
sir is ARIHANTs inorganic chemistry book good for jee advance preparation

I suggest you to have a combination of NCERT and OPtandon becuase this is the golden combination for inorganic chemistry be it for any compettitve exam.If time permits go for JDLEE.It is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
n factor of I ® I+

i depends on reaction... in genral n factor of I+ can be 1

Nikunj Sharma one month ago
In sp2 hybridisation how to understand the geometry whether which is trigonal planar and which is bent shaped??

You will get your answer when you draw the structure......if there is sp 2 hybridisation there are two possibilities of structures .......you have to write the electronic...

utkarsh singh 3 months ago

see the number of lone pair

vedant chavan 3 months ago
Which has higher resonance energy ch2=ch-f or ch2=ch-br?

ch2=ch-br has high resonance energy because lone pairs on Br involve in resonance easily giving more delocalization and hence more resonance energy. Flourine is more elctronegative thats why...
  img
Ramreddy 2 months ago

yes the other one has more resonance energy because resonanance is more effective in C-F bond than in C-Br bond

daksh one month ago

the other one has more resonance energy

agam goel one month ago
what is poppof’s rule ?

Popoff’s Rule - Oxidation of ketones is sometimes governed by this rule.According to this rule carbonyl group remains with smaller alkyl group. [O] Me- CO-Me ----------> MeCOOH + CO...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago
describe the contents of the erlenmeyer flask during titration at these points: (i)initially (ii) at half titration (iii) at the equivalence point (iv) after the equivalence point. Include...

The contents of flask sepends upon the type of titration done. For example; in acid- Base titration if we take acid in the flask with few drops of suitable indicator then in the burrete we...
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago
View all Questions »