Variation of total ionization energies of Al(n+) as a function of n from n=1 to n=8. Explain the discontinuity in your curve.

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

The discontinuity in the curve would be present at Al+ , Al3+ , Al6+ (All these are stabilised states due to completely or half filled atomic subshells). Al3+ is the greatly stabilised due to noble gas configuration. A+ sue to half filled s subshell and Al6+ due to half filled p subshell.

Other than this thse discontinuities, the ionization enthalpies would increase with oxn state as effective nuclear chrge would increase. 

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
What is this HOMO-LOMO electron transition?

HOMO represents the highest occupied molecular orbital and LUMO represents lowest unoccupied molecular orbital.Electronic transition occurs when they are close in energy(orbital). HOMO and...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 12 days ago
​Q. ARRANGE THE FOLLOWING IN INCREASING ORDER OF PROPERTIES AS INDICATED IN BRACKET AGAINST- N 2 , O 2 , F 2 , Cl 2 ( BOND ENERGY) PH 3 , AsH 3 , SbH 3 , NH 3 ( BOND ANGLE)

(1)INCREASING ORDER OF BOND ENERGY N2>O2>Cl2>F2 N2 has triple bond>O2(Double bond)Between F2 and Cl2 as we go down the group, the radius becomes bigger, and the bonding electrons...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 15 days ago
What are its effects on temperature, effect on inert gases, effect on pressure ,etc?

inert gas are basically having fully filled orbital.so they are highly unreactive and there is small effect. i thinh you are asking equilibrium question. lee chatlers principle effect of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
what is poppof’s rule ?

Popoff’s Rule - Oxidation of ketones is sometimes governed by this rule.According to this rule carbonyl group remains with smaller alkyl group. [O] Me- CO-Me ----------> MeCOOH + CO...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
I just want a book which makes me able to crack iit jee main and advance in chemistry …. please help me quickly ,.. which book i shoul buy …???

best books for chemistry(jee main and advance) physical- p bahadur and optandon inorganic-jdlee and optandon organic-morrison boyd and arihant publication
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
View all Questions »