size of gallium is less than aluminium due to d-orbitals,but why so?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Ranjita,

The atomic radius of the Ga is less than Al because of poor screening effect.

The atomic radius of Ga is slightly lesser than of Al because in going from Al to Ga, the electrons have already occupied 3d sub shell in Ga. The screening effect of these intervening electrons being poor, has less influence to decrease the effective nuclear charge, therefore the electrons in Ga experience more forces of attractions towards nucleus to result in lower size of Ga than Al.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
SIR CAN I KNOW WHICH BOOK IS BEST FOR INORGANIC CHEMISTRY FOR JEE(MAIN & ADVANCED)? IS J.D LEE OR OP TANDON GOOD ENOUGH?

for inorganic chemistry you can refer balaji publications inorganic chemistry book

kasula vineeth 6 months ago
why the structure of H2S2O5 is NOT as shown??(#attachment)

These are structures are not dependent on us . We are dependent on them , we try to study these structures. So you have to agree that the structure of the molecule you have asked is that...
  img
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago
Can I prepare complete Inorganic chemistry in 4 moths as I have not studied it at all.Can it be prepared in time that is left now.

Dear student yes you can definitely complete your inorganic chemistry in the period of 4 months,as it would be enough time for you.Don’t take stress while thinking that you...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

Dear student NCERT book is very good but for the detail description of topics you should use other helping books also.As in such book you get the descriptions which you might need while...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

Yeah, you can prepare Inorganic Chemistry in 4 months but just make sure you also keep in touch with other subjects .You can give majority of time to Inorganic but ewach subject is...
  img
Aziz Alam 3 months ago
Explain this statement “The electromagnetic theory also predicts that me frequency of radition emitted by a revolving charged body is equal to the frequency of revelution. In ruther ford’s...

yes that is for sure. and this is what called the drawback of the rutherford model of atom. Because if it will move continuosly with change in angular frequency it will emit energy and thus...
  img
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago

Yes, I know that it is drawback of rutherford model of atom but I cant understand the above statement can you elabrate!

Vineeth 3 months ago
which is more reactive toward electrophilic aromatic substitution: Ph-OH or Ph-OR and why....

--OR group has +R effect and _I effect..Thus for electrophilic aromatic substitution Ph-OH is more reactive because of greater _I effect of OH as compared to OR..

Bhubesh 17 days ago

Ph-OR , because it -R also has some +I effect.

daksh 18 days ago
CsCl crystallises in a cube cell that has a Cl- at each corner and Cs+ at the centre of the unit cell.If radius of Cs+ is 1.69 A and rCl- =1.81 A.What is the edge length of unit cell.?

CsCl is BCC structure. so in BCC structure atoms touch along the body diagonal, which implies that 2(r Cs + + r Cl- )= you can calculate the value of a from above equation....
  img
Ramreddy 2 months ago

sir the ans by dis method is coming wrong.ans is 4.04 A.

Shriya Mehrotra 2 months ago
View all Questions »