size of gallium is less than aluminium due to d-orbitals,but why so?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Ranjita,

The atomic radius of the Ga is less than Al because of poor screening effect.

The atomic radius of Ga is slightly lesser than of Al because in going from Al to Ga, the electrons have already occupied 3d sub shell in Ga. The screening effect of these intervening electrons being poor, has less influence to decrease the effective nuclear charge, therefore the electrons in Ga experience more forces of attractions towards nucleus to result in lower size of Ga than Al.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
CO is stable.But its analogue SiO,is not much.Give reasons...?

The difference of electronegativity between carbon and oxygen is not much as compared to the electronegativity deifference between silicon and oxygen.It leads to more polar bond and hence...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
Can I prepare complete Inorganic chemistry in 4 moths as I have not studied it at all.Can it be prepared in time that is left now.

Dear student yes you can definitely complete your inorganic chemistry in the period of 4 months,as it would be enough time for you.Don’t take stress while thinking that you...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Dear student NCERT book is very good but for the detail description of topics you should use other helping books also.As in such book you get the descriptions which you might need while...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Yeah, you can prepare Inorganic Chemistry in 4 months but just make sure you also keep in touch with other subjects .You can give majority of time to Inorganic but ewach subject is...
  img
Aziz Alam 2 months ago
Germanium have higest refractive index can it be used in construction of battel tank

Hello Student Germanium is not be used for construction of tanks. Tanks mut be made from a very strong material like steel. Germanium is a soft element and can not be used for this.
  img
Gaurav yesterday
does the volume strength of H2O2 depend on conditions? since 1L of H2O2 at different conditions give different volume of O2. then, what is the use of such volume strength labelling?

The volume strength can give different volume a of O2 at different condition, but at STP the volume given of O2 can be converted to its number of mole and so we have molarity of H2O2. As we...
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago
please help me

Please be more specific about your problem....
  img
Ravi 25 days ago

sorry it didnt got attached

Kaustubh Nayyar 20 days ago
What are the products formed when 2-methoxy propane reacts with conc HI

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta 15 days ago

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta 15 days ago

In the presence of conc.HI I think (CH3)2CH-OH changes to (CH3)2CH-I. Also since a secondary carbon is present SN 1 mechanism may occur then the products are different(CH3OH and (CH3)2CH-I)....

Himaja 15 days ago
View all Questions »