ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

size of gallium is less than aluminium due to d-orbitals,but why so?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Ranjita,

The atomic radius of the Ga is less than Al because of poor screening effect.

The atomic radius of Ga is slightly lesser than of Al because in going from Al to Ga, the electrons have already occupied 3d sub shell in Ga. The screening effect of these intervening electrons being poor, has less influence to decrease the effective nuclear charge, therefore the electrons in Ga experience more forces of attractions towards nucleus to result in lower size of Ga than Al.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Plz explain me what are azide compounds???

Azideis theanionwith the formula N3−. It is theconjugate baseofhydrazoic acid(HN3). N3−is a linear anion that isisoelectronicwithCO2andN2O. Pervalence bond theory, azide can be...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago
Why is a person with high blood pressure asked to reduce salt!

Humans ingest sodium by eating salt in food and occasionally in medications. Most people will simply excrete excess sodium in the urine, and we also lose sodium and water through...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago
Compound A is [Cr(NH 3 ) 4 ClBr]Cl Comound B is [Cr(NH 3 ) 4 Cl 2 ]Br Question is attached with the image! [ALTSM 01/03 Q90] Pls show how you calculated EAN.

EAN=24-3+2*6=33 ATOMIC NO.---24 OXIDATION STATE---3 COORDINATION NO.---6 FOR BOTH THE EAN VALUE WILL BE SAME

nipun jain 29 days ago

ans is option 1

nipun jain 29 days ago
Please sort these bonds in decreasing order of strengths.. . 1.C triple bond O 2.C≡N 3.N≡N 4.C−C 5.C−H And please explain as to why they are correct. I feel that C−H is stronger than C−C...

sorry its a problem occuring in my connection so, that complete answers could be posted

Aman Bhambra 20 days ago

n2 is highly staable

ng29 20 days ago

sorry its 3

Aman Bhambra 20 days ago
ways to learn organic reaction

Hello student you should practise each and every reaction by writing in ur copy . All the Best . Hit approve if u got even a little help by my answer :) Thanks .

Drake 15 days ago

just practicee as much que as you can from various books and u will automatically get reactions into ur mind approve if useful

ng29 19 days ago

refer sn sanyal for mechanisms himanshu pandey for questions approve if useful approve if useful

ng29 15 days ago
how many grams of KCl would have to be diisolved in 60 gms H2O to give 20% by weight of solution?

total mass of the water=60g let weight of KCl required=xg so weight %=20% i.e. {x/(x+60)}=20%=20/100 x=0.2*x +....60*0.2 0.8*x=12 x=12/0.8=15g...
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

let amount=xg so x/(x+60)=20%=0.2 x=15g..... so the amount of KCL needed=15g .................................. .........................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago
View all Questions »