ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

size of gallium is less than aluminium due to d-orbitals,but why so?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Ranjita,

The atomic radius of the Ga is less than Al because of poor screening effect.

The atomic radius of Ga is slightly lesser than of Al because in going from Al to Ga, the electrons have already occupied 3d sub shell in Ga. The screening effect of these intervening electrons being poor, has less influence to decrease the effective nuclear charge, therefore the electrons in Ga experience more forces of attractions towards nucleus to result in lower size of Ga than Al.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
how do polar solvents help in the first step in SN1 mechanism

TheSN1 reactionis asubstitution reactioninorganic chemistry. "SN" stands fornucleophilic substitutionand the "1" represents the fact that therate-determining...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
I have a doubt regarding the general outermost electronic configuration of f block elements. Why is it (n-2)f^(1-14)(n-1)d^(0-1)ns^2. The only exception i thought to this formula was thorium...

The general electronic configuration of the f-block elements is given as :- (n-2) f1-14, (n-1) s2 (n-1) p6 (n-1 ) d10, ns2. The General electronic configuration of Lanthanides is [Xe]...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
what is the variation in 4th A group element's physical conditions?

there are various variation in4thA group element physical property (1)size-increases down the group (2)density-The densities of the carbon group elements tend to increase with increasing...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
Q . which is the correct order of decreasing stability of the following cations?

i think the correct the correct answer is c because of stabilisation by lone pairs in third and second case,, and for the comparison between second and third option , third option with less...

daksh 3 months ago

sorry wrong answer.....please give a right answer with proper explanation

bharat makkar 3 months ago

YES.....GOT IT...THANKS ….....

bharat makkar 3 months ago
convert 1-Bromo butane to Toluene

img
Harishwar 5 months ago
What is van der waal’s force of attraction?

Van der waal’s forces is the sum of the attractive and the repulsive forces between the molecules of the same compound other than those due to covalent bonds. It’s eqn. is given by :...

Divya Kumari one month ago

Van der waal’s forces is the sum of the attractive and the repulsive forces between the molecules of the same compound other than those due to covalent bonds. It’s eqn. is given by :...

Divya Kumari one month ago
View all Questions »