Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 280 off
USE CODE: JEE20

size of gallium is less than aluminium due to d-orbitals,but why so?

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Ranjita,

The atomic radius of the Ga is less than Al because of poor screening effect.

The atomic radius of Ga is slightly lesser than of Al because in going from Al to Ga, the electrons have already occupied 3d sub shell in Ga. The screening effect of these intervening electrons being poor, has less influence to decrease the effective nuclear charge, therefore the electrons in Ga experience more forces of attractions towards nucleus to result in lower size of Ga than Al.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

4 years ago

The shielding effect of d-orbitals is very poor due to it’s diffused-spreading-shape in case of gallium. The d-orbital have diffused nature and thus poor shielding-effect.The shielding is just reducing impact of effective positive nuclear charge on the outer most electrons. The position of Gallium is just immediately after Zn which has completly filled d-orbitals ( 10 electrons). This makes the pronunced effect of nuclear charge (Zeff) and we find reduction in atomic radius of Gallium. It is thus diffused d-orbitals and their inability to shield the strong +ve charge which changes the trend of Atomic Radius. The Ga At. radius is thus unexpectedly smaller than Al and change in trend of Periodic Table set-up.  
9 months ago

Post Your Answer

what is the chemical formula of calcium carbonate?

CaCO3

SHANMUKESHWAR 5 months ago

caCo 3

PRAPULPODISHETTI 5 months ago

CaCO3

A M S ARUN KRISHNA 5 months ago
WHAT IS NITROLIM

Nitrolim means calcium cyanamide-used as fertilizer and comertially it is also known as Lime-Nitrogen. Nitrolim or Kalkstickstoff in German.

SIVAGIRI GURAVAIAH one month ago

calcium cyanamide —used chiefly commercially.

VENKT 5 months ago

Calcium cyanamide IS THE FORMULA FOR NITROLIM

GANDIKOTA NAVEEN 5 months ago
what is the factors of rate of reaction?

The factors of rate of reaction 1)Nature of reactent, physical size. physical state. 2)Pressure. 3)Temparature. 4)Concentratin. 5)Height. 6)Catalyst.

RAKESH CHINDAM 5 months ago

1)Nature of reactent, physical size. physical state. 2)Pressure. 3)Temparature. 4)Concentratin. 5)Height. 6)Catalyst.

PRAPULPODISHETTI 5 months ago

factors of rate of reaction concentration of the reactants nature of reactants light temperature catalyst

sanjay 5 months ago
tell me what is the difference between base and the nucleophile

1.All nucleophiles are bases, but all the bases cannot be nucleophiles. 2.Bases are hydrogen acceptors, thus perform neutralizing reactions, but nucleophiles attack electrophiles to...

KALYAN one month ago

A nucleophile is a chemical species that donates an electron pair to an electrophile to form a chemical bond in relation to a reaction. All molecules or ions with a free pair of electrons...

Gaddam Chethan one month ago

All nucleophiles are bases, but all the bases are not be nucleophiles. Bases are hydrogen acceptors, thus perform neutralizing reactions, but nucleophiles attack electrophiles to initiate a ...

Prabhakar ch one month ago
what is catination

chain forming capacity of carbon atom is called catanition

pa1 5 months ago

The ability of an element to form long chains with identical atoms of same element is called catenation . carbon has highest catenation power . Lead does not show any catenation . plz...

sri tanish 5 months ago

the capacity to form long chain compound with same element atoms are different element atoms is known as catenation carbon has more catenation capacity

kalyan 5 months ago
Why +I group increases bascitiy and delocalization of l.p. increases basicity..???

+I groups are those groups which delocalize the electron pair away from itself. Therefore a partial + charge + appears on the group and - on the carbon to which it is attached.Now when a +I ...

Neeti 6 months ago

absolutely. :) which part was not clear? the delocalization right? see, nitrogen, oxygen, these atoms when in the form of a compound, have lone pairs. they can donate these lone pairs to...

Neeti 6 months ago

No No, i thought the same but then i thought that you must be talking about the group itself which is showing delocalization and that is also showing basicity. see in case of...

Neeti 6 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 280 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts