Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

What is electron confinement. How does effect the colour of some substance

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear Deeksha ,

Electron confinement is the theory that as you try and find an electron in a very small space the uncertainty of its energy (or velocity) becomes very high. The area and uncertainty are inversely linked. In extremely small areas such as the volume of a proton the uncertainty is so great that the electron will very quickly move out of the small volume. The proof for this is that as the uncertainty increases of the energy the values of the energy tend to be randomly distributed along that uncertainty range. .By examining a finite volume of space the chance of an electron staying inside it decreases as the volume decreases as the uncertainty get higher the mean of the values of energy gets higher so it makes it less likely that it will stay in the volume.

The more electrons are confined, the closer the spacings between their energy levels and so the bluer the colors they absorb. Different ions obviously confine their electrons differently, and so have different colors.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Me3N is pyramidal but(SiH3)3N is planar. Explain Why?
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding..Hence SP3 hybridised “N” so ,pyramidal.While vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant ‘d’)hence SP 2...
Pranav Dabhade 13 days ago
No,vacant orbital is present on carbon of Me so, no backbonding .Hence SP 3 hybridised “N” so pyramidal.Whilehybridised “N” hence planer. 2 vacant orbital is present on Si i.e (vacant...
Pranav Dabhade 13 days ago
Discuss the geometry of molecules having two lone pair and two bond pairs.
molecules having two lone pair and two bond pairs would exhibit the sp3 hybridization with BENT /ANGULAR/V -SHAPE. for example water molecule that is H2O has be shape with oxygen atom...
Vikas TU 16 days ago
How to identify colours in coordination compounds?..................
@ giya the colour of the compound can be identified by finding out the ions present in the compound , the metal ion absorbs certain wavelength of light and reflects the opposite colour ....
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
which is the strongest base WITH explanation CH​3 ---CO----OH CF3----CO---OH CH3-----CH2---CO---OH CCl-----CO---OH
CH 3 -----CH 2 ---CO---OH should be the strongest base as ethyl group woul show highes + I effect as compare to other options. CF3 AND CCl3 would show -I effect hence restricting the basic...
2017 years ago
what is the oxidation state of sulphur in H 2 S 2 O 8, Na 2 S 4 O 8 and Na 2 S 2 O 3.
@ bhavika in H2S2O8, since 2 oxygen is forming the peroxide linkage here , so, the o.n of sulpher will be +6 . and in the 2 nd case NA2S4O8 , in thaat case take sulpher o.n to be x after...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
u need to remember that which structure have peroxide linkage and which structure have not , there are only some exception with peroxide linkage , go through the ncert redox reaction...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
The boiling point of para isomer is quite higher than that of ortho or meta isomers. This is due to the fact that it has a symmetrical structure and therefore, its molecules can easily pack...
Rohit Kundu one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn