derivation (trick) for the point of intersection of a pair of straight lines with a curve (in 2 degree)

2 years ago

Answers : (3)

S = ax2+by2+2gx+2fy+2hxy+c = 0

Partially differentiate S w.r.t x and y respectively.

2ax + 2g + 2hy = 0

ax+hy+g = 0     ...............(i)

2by + 2f + 2hx = 0

by + hx + f = 0    ..............(ii)

Solve (i) and (ii) for x and y.

(x,y) is the point of intersection.

2 years ago

Any similar method (generic) for intersection of two curves/ a curve and a line?

2 years ago

This method isnt actually to find the intersection of two curves. This is used to find the centre of the curve. Incase of pair of straight lines, it is infact, the point of their intersection. In ellipse and hyperbola, u get the center.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Tangents are drawn from the point (α,β) to the hyperbola 3x 2 -2y 2 =6 and are inclined at angles θ and φ to the x-axis. If tanθ.tanφ =2, prove that β 2...

please check the attached file
  img
Sunil Raikwar 7 months ago

Hi Pranjal, There is slight technical issue. Please post these questions again in analytical Geometry. We will upload the answers for the same. askIITians Faculty

sunil raikwar 7 months ago

Given equation is Equations of tangents are the roots of this equation is therefore Thanks &Regards, Sunil Raikwar, askIITians faculty.

sunil raikwar 7 months ago
If from a variable point ‘P’ on the line x-2y+1=0 pair of tangents are drawn to the parabola y 2 =8x then prove that the chord of contact passes through a fixed point, also find...

Let the point be (h,k) then h - 2k + 1 = 0 ----- (1) equation of chord of contact will be T = 0, i.e, yk = 8 (x + h)/2 yk = 4x + 4h ---- (2) Put value of h from equation (1) into equation...
  img
Pratik Tibrewal 8 months ago
if the tangent from a pt P on the circle x^2 + y^2 = 1 is perpendicular to tangent frm P to the circle x^2 + y^2 = 3, then locus of P is a circle of radius a)2 b)3 c)4 d)none of these

THe tangent to circle 1 : x.x1 + y.y1 = 1 from point(x1,y1) The tangent to circle 2 : x.x1 + y.y1 = 3 from point (x1,y1) These tangents are perpendicular. Hence, -x1/y1. -x1/y1 = -1 x1^2 /...
  img
bharat bajaj 6 months ago

thanku sir

vaanya 6 months ago
Let the harmonic mean and geometric mean of two positive numbers be the ratio 4 : 5. Then the two number are in the ratio=

Hello Student, Please solve for t Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 2 months ago
Please calculate the integral limit is (0 to pi/4) ∫ln(1+tanx) dx

Dear student, We have: J = ∫ ln { 1 + tan [ (π/4) - x ] } dx ... on [0,π/4] ...= ∫ ln { 1 + [ ( 1 - tan x ) / ( 1 + tan x ) ] } dx ...= ∫ ln { 2 / ( 1 + tan x ) } dx ...=...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 2 months ago
A particle prjected from origin moves in x-y plane with a velocity (vect.) v = 3i + 6xj where i and j are the unit vectors along x and y axix respectively. Find the equation of the path...

Dear Sunrit The path equation is y = x 2 S x = x = ∫v x .dt = 3∫dt = 3t S y = y = ∫v y .dt = ∫6x dt = ∫6(3t) dt = ∫18tdt = 9t 2 Thus y = x 2

shashi K Sharma one month ago
View all Questions »