derivation (trick) for the point of intersection of a pair of straight lines with a curve (in 2 degree)

3 years ago

Answers : (3)

S = ax2+by2+2gx+2fy+2hxy+c = 0

Partially differentiate S w.r.t x and y respectively.

2ax + 2g + 2hy = 0

ax+hy+g = 0     ...............(i)

2by + 2f + 2hx = 0

by + hx + f = 0    ..............(ii)

Solve (i) and (ii) for x and y.

(x,y) is the point of intersection.

2 years ago

Any similar method (generic) for intersection of two curves/ a curve and a line?

2 years ago

This method isnt actually to find the intersection of two curves. This is used to find the centre of the curve. Incase of pair of straight lines, it is infact, the point of their intersection. In ellipse and hyperbola, u get the center.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Find the distance of the point (3,4,5) from the plane x+y+z=2 measured parallel to the line 2x=y=z.

The answer is 6 units. I’ll give you hints. Dr’s of the line is ] = 6units 2 +(5-1) 2 +(4-0) 2 Therefore, PN = sqrt[(3-1) So N = (1,0,1) Satisfying this point on the plane gives u=-4 General...

Yash Jain one month ago

The answer is 6 units. I’ll give you hints. Dr’s of the line is Therefore, PN = sqrt[(3-1) So N = (1,0,1) Satisfying this point on the plane gives u=-4 General point on this line is..(u/2...

Yash Jain one month ago
Find the arithmetic mean of the ordinates of the feet of the normals from the point (3,5) to the parabola y^2 = 8x

Sum of the ordinates of conormal points is zero. we can prove by following approach: Equation of normal at any point(2t^2,4t) to the parabola y^2=8x is y= -ty+4t+2t^3 it passes through (3,5)...
  img
Sunil Raikwar 5 months ago
The equation of a straight line passing through the point (-5,4) and which cuts an intercept of root(2) units between the lines x+y+1=0 and x+y-1 is?

Hello Student. Please find the solutionx+y+1=0 and x+y-1 are two parallel lines and distance between them is mod|\frac{1-(-1)}{\sqrt{2}} |So distabce between them is 2/root2 = root2So our...
  img
Nishant Vora 3 months ago
see attachment ...and please tell the method which is used in solution please reply anyone ….i heard lot about this website

Ans: Hello student, Please find the answer to your question below Now looking at the problem in hand There are total 100 term in L out of which 25 terms are zero. Rest all the terms are...
  img
Jitender Singh 4 months ago
evaluate ∫ (1 – cos 2x) / (1 + cos 2x) dx

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question
  img
Jitender Singh 5 months ago
find sum 1^2*C1+3^2*C3+5^2*C5....

Hello Student, Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 6 months ago
View all Questions »