derivation (trick) for the point of intersection of a pair of straight lines with a curve (in 2 degree)

2 years ago

Answers : (3)

S = ax2+by2+2gx+2fy+2hxy+c = 0

Partially differentiate S w.r.t x and y respectively.

2ax + 2g + 2hy = 0

ax+hy+g = 0     ...............(i)

2by + 2f + 2hx = 0

by + hx + f = 0    ..............(ii)

Solve (i) and (ii) for x and y.

(x,y) is the point of intersection.

2 years ago

Any similar method (generic) for intersection of two curves/ a curve and a line?

2 years ago

This method isnt actually to find the intersection of two curves. This is used to find the centre of the curve. Incase of pair of straight lines, it is infact, the point of their intersection. In ellipse and hyperbola, u get the center.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
is pair of straight lines and family of lines in the syllabus of jee advanced 2014

Yes you should get yourself prepared with both the topics.Vinti SinghaiB.E in Elec & comm(Honors), Gold Medalist in Mathematics

Vinti Singhai one year ago

yes...!

JAYAVARDHAN BAIRABATHINA one year ago
A straight line makes an intercept on the y-axis twice as long as that on the x-axis and is at a unit distance from the origin. Determine its equation.

Hello Student, Thanks & Regards Arun Kumar Btech, IIT Delhi Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar 4 months ago
Given two straight lines AB and AC whose equations are 3x + 4y = 5 and 4x – 3y = 15 respectively. Then the possible equation of line BC through (1, 2), such that ABC is isosceles, is L1 = 0...

Equation of the line BC passing through (1,2) with slope ‘m’ is (y-2) = m(x-2) Since ABC is isosceles, angle B = angle C. using Cos(theta) formula for finding angle between the lines AB,BC &...

Y RAJYALAKSHMI 4 months ago
Q. FIND THE EQUATION OF THE TANGENTS DRAWN TO THE CURVE- y 2 - 2x 2 – 4y + 8 =0 FROM THE POINT (1,2).

to find the equation of tangent to any curve from point (x1,y1) just replace y^2 by yy1; x^2 by xx1; y by (y+y1)/2 ;x by (x+x1)/2 and constant term is remain unchanged, so in your question...

PRATYUSH MISHRA 2 months ago

thanks buddy!!

bharat makkar 2 months ago
tangents and normals find the equation of the tangent line to the curve y=x^2 – 2x + 7 which is perpendicular to the line 5y – 15x =13

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below Slope of tangent: y’ = -1/3 Equation:
  img
Jitender Singh 2 months ago
integrate the following integral ∫ cos^4 (2x) dx

Ans: Hello Student, Please find answer to your question below
  img
Jitender Singh 3 months ago

i=∫cos 4 x i=∫ cos4x+1/2> 2 i=1/4×∫1+cos 2 4x+2cos4x i=1x/4 +1/4 i=1/2

pavansai 3 months ago
View all Questions »