ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Given the system of straight lines a(2x+y-3) + b(3x+2y-5) = 0, the line of the system farthest from the point (4,-3) has the equation?

Options: a) 4x+11y-15=0

b) 7x+y-8=0

c) 4x+3y-7=0

d) 3x-4y+1=0

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Suhas,

The given system represents a family of lines passing through the intersection of 2x+y-3=0 and 3x+2y-5=0

These two lines intersect at (1,1).

Now a line throug this system will be the farthest from the point (4,-3) if the line is perpendicular to the line joining (1,1) and (4,-3).

Slope of the line joining (4,-3) and (1,1) is -4/3.

So slope of the required line passing through (1,1) is 3/4.

So the eqn of the line will be 3x-4y+7=0 (there is no option in the question, please check your choice D).

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Hi Suhas,

Sorry. A silly mistake in the last step.

Eqn of line through (1,1) and having slope as 3/4 will be 3x-4y+1=0

So option (D) is correct.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
If the distance between circumcentre and orthocentre of triangle whose vertices are (1,5) (2,3) (4,4) is k/√10 then sum of abscissa of points which are k distance away from the point (3,2)...

A (1,5) B (2,3) C (4,4) AB= √5 units BC=√5 units AC= √10 units Hence given triangle is right angled triangle ( AB2 + BC2 = AC2) at B Orthocenter is B only CIrcumcenter for...
  img
Harsh Patodia 8 months ago
The number of points (x,y) (where x and y both are perfect squares of integers) on the parabola y^2=px,p being a prime number, is ?

y 2 = px y = sqrt(px) Since x & y are perfect square integers, sqrt(x) is an integer. Since p is a prime no., sqrt(p) is an irrational no. The point which satisfies the given condition is...

Y RAJYALAKSHMI 9 months ago
The sum of the distance of a point P from two perpendicular lines in a plane is 1, then the locus of P

Let the perpendiculars lines be the x – axis and y – axis. The sum of the distances from the the point P (x, y) is 1. ie. |x| + |y| = 1 – this is the locus of the point P which would be the...

Y RAJYALAKSHMI one month ago
please help anyone please

img
Nishant Vora 8 months ago
1)A wire of length 18 m had been tied with electric pole at an angle of elevation 30º with the ground. Because it was convering a long distance, it was cut and tied at an angle of elevation...

Dear student, (1) If we assume the height at which the wire has been joined is y m and the new length of the wire is x m. Then, using trigonometry, we would have: , Hence the length of the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 8 months ago
if r satisfies the equation r x (i +2 j+ k)= i-k then for any scalar m , r is eqaul to?????

answer is b) now i understand that what is m when u compare the both sides u does not get exact coeffiicients of r i am solving completely for u let r=ai+bj+ck on taking cross product and...

ng29 15 days ago

consider r =ai+bj+ck and solve lhs by using crosss product now get single equations in i,j and k compare coefficients of i, j and k and u get the desired vector approve if useful

ng29 20 days ago

i tried through that only ….but don know what this m...stands for... options for this ques. … a) i+m(i+2j+k) ​b) j+ m(i+2j+k) ​c) k+m(i+2j+k) ​d) i- k +m (i+2j+k)

mansi dabriwal 19 days ago
View all Questions »