Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off
USE CODE: EXAM25

Given the system of straight lines a(2x+y-3) + b(3x+2y-5) = 0, the line of the system farthest from the point (4,-3) has the equation?

Options: a) 4x+11y-15=0

b) 7x+y-8=0

c) 4x+3y-7=0

d) 3x-4y+1=0

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Suhas,

The given system represents a family of lines passing through the intersection of 2x+y-3=0 and 3x+2y-5=0

These two lines intersect at (1,1).

Now a line throug this system will be the farthest from the point (4,-3) if the line is perpendicular to the line joining (1,1) and (4,-3).

Slope of the line joining (4,-3) and (1,1) is -4/3.

So slope of the required line passing through (1,1) is 3/4.

So the eqn of the line will be 3x-4y+7=0 (there is no option in the question, please check your choice D).

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

4 years ago

Hi Suhas,

Sorry. A silly mistake in the last step.

Eqn of line through (1,1) and having slope as 3/4 will be 3x-4y+1=0

So option (D) is correct.

Regards,

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

If the line y=√3 x+k touches the circle x^2+y^2=16 then what is the value of k ??

The line is a tangent to the circle, find the distance of C(0,0) from that line which will be equal to 4i.e radius. ans 8,-8

Sid 6 months ago
If a ray travelling along the line x = 1 gets reflected from the line x + y = 1, then the equation of the line along which the reflected ray travel is

the angle between x = 1 and x + y = 1 is 45 degrees. as angle i = angle r so, angle r = 45 degrees putting the value in the formula tan theta = (m 1 – m 2 / 1 + m 1 m 2 ) we get m = 0 so...

Satyadip Mahapatra one month ago
method for evaluation of concurrency point of two straight line?

See you will have to solve the eqn of both st lines first to get x/y whichever is easy to get, now substitute this co-ordinate in any of the two equations to get the other co-ordinate. And...

Alfaz Khan 6 months ago
∫sin 2x.cos2x dx

Dear Student, Hint: Multiply and divide by 2, Use 2sinAcosA = sin (2A) and then integrate it. Thanks.
  img
Vijay Mukati 7 months ago

Dear Student, Use the hint as I provided. That will be easier compared to yours. Thanks.
  img
Vijay Mukati 7 months ago

thanks vijay sir.. but if i substitute sin2x =t and then integrate i got different answer

sumit 7 months ago
hi I am Prabhnoor. i will appear for my boards this year . i am a bit weak at physics and maths. so can u plz suggest a good way tp study both 2 months before my exams . Thankyou

dear friend not affried of exams study in a systemstic way plan how to study physics means we study about phisical things which we can feel and we can see sirst you should study maths there ...

NAGOORVALI one month ago
If the vectors −3i + 4 j + λk and μ i + 8 j + 6k are collinear vectors then find λand μ.

Let a = −3 i + 4 j + λk , b = μ i + 8 j + 6k From hyp. a, b are collinear then a = tb ⇒ −3i + 4 j + λk = t(μ i + 8 j + 6k) −3i + 4 j + λk = μt i + 8t j + 6tk Comparing i, j, k coefficients...

KUNCHAM SAMPATH 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts