Use Coupon: CART10 and get 10% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 50% OFF on Online Material.
Use coupon code: MOB50 | View Course list

Given the system of straight lines a(2x+y-3) + b(3x+2y-5) = 0, the line of the system farthest from the point (4,-3) has the equation?

Options: a) 4x+11y-15=0

b) 7x+y-8=0

c) 4x+3y-7=0

d) 3x-4y+1=0

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Suhas,

The given system represents a family of lines passing through the intersection of 2x+y-3=0 and 3x+2y-5=0

These two lines intersect at (1,1).

Now a line throug this system will be the farthest from the point (4,-3) if the line is perpendicular to the line joining (1,1) and (4,-3).

Slope of the line joining (4,-3) and (1,1) is -4/3.

So slope of the required line passing through (1,1) is 3/4.

So the eqn of the line will be 3x-4y+7=0 (there is no option in the question, please check your choice D).

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Hi Suhas,

Sorry. A silly mistake in the last step.

Eqn of line through (1,1) and having slope as 3/4 will be 3x-4y+1=0

So option (D) is correct.

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

The three lines of a triangle are given by (x 2 -y 2 )(2x+3y-6)=0. If the points (-2,a) lies inside and (b,1) lies outside the triangle, then a€(1,10/3) ; b€(-3,5) a€(2,10/3) ; b€(-1,1)...
Your ans is also wrong its none of these
Aditya Sharma 4 months ago
Your ans is also wrong its none of these
Please explain me how you have done..
which book should i prefer for a detail clerence of concepts in cordinate geometry for iit jee through advanced level
i always advise to use cengage series in math by g tewani this is the book will clear all the concepts in detail at advanced level but there are also a mainy of good books in math for...
Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya 2 months ago
find the locus of the mid points of the chord of the hyperbola x 2 /a 2 -y 2 /b 2 =1 which subtend a right angle at the origin.
consider the mid to be a point P (X 0, Y 0 ) now use the formula S 1 =S 11 you will get the equation of chord with its mid point. then homogenise this equation with the equation of given...
Janani 3 days ago
the above problem
DURGARAM one month ago
sir, I have aquestion,pl. solve my problem. Find domain of Y=cos -1 (x 2 /1+x 2 )
Dear Student, The domain of the function, y = cos -1 x is -1 <= x<=1. So Use this information to find the domain. Thanks.
Vijay Mukati 7 days ago
sin 80 =?
kalyan one month ago
RAJU one month ago
SEELA YUVARAJU one month ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift