Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

Given the system of straight lines a(2x+y-3) + b(3x+2y-5) = 0, the line of the system farthest from the point (4,-3) has the equation?

Options: a) 4x+11y-15=0

b) 7x+y-8=0

c) 4x+3y-7=0

d) 3x-4y+1=0

4 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Suhas,

The given system represents a family of lines passing through the intersection of 2x+y-3=0 and 3x+2y-5=0

These two lines intersect at (1,1).

Now a line throug this system will be the farthest from the point (4,-3) if the line is perpendicular to the line joining (1,1) and (4,-3).

Slope of the line joining (4,-3) and (1,1) is -4/3.

So slope of the required line passing through (1,1) is 3/4.

So the eqn of the line will be 3x-4y+7=0 (there is no option in the question, please check your choice D).

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

4 years ago

Hi Suhas,

Sorry. A silly mistake in the last step.

Eqn of line through (1,1) and having slope as 3/4 will be 3x-4y+1=0

So option (D) is correct.

Ashwin (IIT Madras).

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Analytical Geometry

If the pairs of line represented by the equation (ax^2+2hxy+by^2+2gx+2fy+c=0) intersect each other on y axis which is not origin then which of following is/are true (a) g^2=ac (b) f^2=bc...
the condition for this eqn to be a pair of sl is …...............(1) now both the straight line is intersecting on y axis so x= 0 Put x= 0 in so Now for this Quadratic y1 = y2 as...
Nishant Vora one month ago
find the distance A(2,3) measured parallel to the line x-y=5 from the line 2x+y+6=0
given equation x-y=5 and 2x+y+6=0 x=5+y..... eq1 2(5+y)+y+6 10+2y+y+6=0 y=-16/3 and x=-1/3 Now, distance between A and (x,y)is root under (x2-x1) +(y2-y1)2 hence distance =8.05
Muna Kunwar one month ago
From any point on the line 2x + y = 1, tangents are drawn to the circle x^2 +y^2 = 9, then the chords of contact pass through a fixed point (A) (18, 9) (B) (9, 18) (C) (9,9) (D) (18,18)
Assume that point in parametric form on line 2x + y = 1 as: (x , 1-2x) and apply chords of contact concept here that is: T = 0. and put the point (x,1-2x). and try to satisfy the options...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
in how many different ways can the letters of the word MATHEMATICS be arranged so that the vowels always come together
11!/2!*2!*2! Further you can amplify this .... This is because mathematics has 11letters and a,m,t are two times ................................
vipin shukla 2 months ago
8!*4!/2!*2!*2! ........................… this is because mathematics has 4vowels and thee will be fixed but they also may arrange by4!/2! And left 7 and this will be considered as one....
vipin shukla 2 months ago
If I= integral tan(tan^-1 (x)) than find the value of I. I=?
tan(tan^-1 (x)) = x So I = integral x dx so I = x^2 /2 now find I.I Thanks
Nishant Vora one month ago
What will will come when we differentiate acceleration
when we deferentiate the acceleration we get the jerk.
RAMCHANDRARAO 9 months ago
I`m probably just being a jerk but you didn`t specify what you are differentiating with respect to.If you differentiate acceleration as a function of distance from (say) the moon, you`ll get...
rahul kushwaha 21 days ago
MR. PRABHAKAR its nothing but “JERK“, and its a sudeen movement if u want an example then when u r travelling in the bus if driver puts a sudden brake there is movement in u i.e, jeRk
Dheeru chowdary 9 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Analytical Geometry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn