Sir I have a doubt regarding blood and its transfusion..... We know that some of the glands secrete harmones directly into the blood. Then during blood transfusion,are the harmones also get transfused? If yes then the male harmones go into a female blood or vice versa? Please answer me sir This question ruins my mind

Sir I have a doubt regarding blood and its transfusion..... We know that some of the glands secrete harmones directly into the blood. Then during blood transfusion,are the harmones also get transfused? If yes then the male harmones go into a female blood or vice versa? Please answer me sir This question ruins my mind

Grade:12

1 Answers

Simran Vinaik
askIITians Faculty 1230 Points
6 years ago
Blood transfusion cannot cause hormonal imbalance as they are short lived and get denatured during storage. Also they are lost if the target organ does not exist. Specific components of blood namely RBCs, platelets, plasma are given to the patient according to the disease or need.
On centrifuging whole blood hormones separate out in the plasma layer hence, the question of hormones of the donor entering the bloodstream of the receiver does not come up if the person is given a component(RBC, PLATELETS) other than plasma. Hence, the chance of hormonal imbalance in the receiver is ruled out post blood transfusion.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free