Identify the correct order of phases for the cell cycle? I. G 2 ​ phase- growth and preparation for mitosis II. Mitosis III. G 1 ​ phase- cell growth IV. S phase - DNA copied V. Cytokinesis A III, IV, I, II, V B III, I, IV, V, II C II, III, I, IV, V D IV, III, I , II, V E V, III, IV, I, II

Identify the correct order of phases for the cell cycle?
I. G2 phase- growth and preparation for mitosis
II. Mitosis
III. G1phase- cell growth
IV. S phase - DNA copied
V. Cytokinesis

A

III, IV, I, II, V

B

III, I, IV, V, II

C

II, III, I, IV, V

D

IV, III, I , II, V

E

V, III, IV, I, II

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Adarsh Pal
askIITians Faculty 159 Points
3 years ago

The correct order of phases of cell cycle: Interphase (G₁, S, and G₂ phases), mitotic phase (mitosis and cytokinesis), and G₀ phase.

G1​ phase also called the first gap phase, the cell grows larger and makes more of its ribosomes, organelles, and proteins. This phase ensures that division will produce functional daughter cells, ones that are the right size and have all the parts they need.
S phase. In order to divide, a cell also needs to make a copy of its genetic material, allowing it to give one full set to each of its two daughter cells. To accomplish this, the cell moves from G1​ into a phase called S phase, during which it synthesizes a complete copy of the DNA in its nucleus.
Once DNA synthesis is complete, the cell enters a second gap phase, called G2​ phase. During this period, the cell grows more, makes additional proteins and organelles, and begins to reorganize its contents in preparation for mitosis, the separation of the copied DNA into two equal sets. G2 phase ends when mitosis begins.
Interphase alternates with mitotic (M) phase. During M phase, the cell divides its copied nuclear DNA and cytoplasm to form two new cells. M phase is further divided into two phases: mitosis and cytokinesis.
In mitosis, the nuclear DNA of the cell condenses into visible chromosomes and is pulled apart by the mitotic spindle, a specialized structure made out of microtubules. Mitosis takes place in four stages: prophase metaphase, anaphase, and telophase.
In cytokinesis, the cytoplasm of the cell is split in two, making two new cells. Cytokinesis usually begins just as mitosis is ending, with a little overlap. 
So, the correct answer is option A.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free