Cow milk is yellow in colour due to presence of beta carotene. But in some book riboflavin is given. Can you tell me which one is correct.

Cow milk is yellow in colour due to presence of beta carotene. But in some book riboflavin is given. Can you tell me which one is correct.

Grade:

5 Answers

SR Roy
128 Points
6 years ago
Cow milk fat contains a coloring pigment called Beta-carotene (a carotenoid which is precursor of vitamin-A). Whereas buffalo milk lacks the same thus it is not yellowish like cow milk. The same carotenoid is also found in vegies like carrot. People like their table butter yellowish,  thus dairies use the same carotenoid or annato (another natural coloring pigment) for imparting the same.

There’s a huge controversy regarding this fact. However I think it’s beta carotene
Arun
25750 Points
6 years ago
Cow milk fat contains a coloring pigment called Beta-carotene (a carotenoid which is precursor of vitamin-A). Whereas buffalo milk lacks the same thus it is not yellowish like cow milk. The same carotenoid is also found in vegies like carrot. People like their table butter yellowish,  thus dairies use the same carotenoid or annato (another natural coloring pigment) for imparting the same
Rishi Sharma
askIITians Faculty 646 Points
3 years ago
Dear Student,
Please find below the solution to your problem.

Cow milk fat contains a coloring pigment called Beta-carotene (a carotenoid which is precursor of vitamin-A).
Whereas buffalo milk lacks the same thus it is not yellowish like cow milk.
The same carotenoid is also found in vegies like carrot.
People like their table butter yellowish, thus dairies use the same carotenoid or annato (another natural coloring pigment) for imparting the same

Thanks and Regards
Pooja
17 Points
3 years ago
Carotene is fat soluble and responsible for the yellow colour of milk, cream, butter, ghee and other fat-rich dairy products. Besides contributing to the colour of cow milk, carotene acts as an antioxidant and also as a precursor of vitamin A.
RISHIKA
550 Points
3 years ago
dear friend
Cow milk is yellow in colour because of beta carotene only.
i hope it is helpful for u 
thank u

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free