“(a) If one of two identical slits producing interference in Young's experiment is covered with glass, so that the light intensity passing through it is reduced to 50%, find the ratio of the maximum and minimum intensity of the fringe in the interference pattern. (b) What king of fringes do you expect to observe if white light is used instead of monochromatic light?” MY DOUBT IS: In the first part of the question, won't introducing a glass sheet will make the slits non-coherent? If so will there be sustained interference?

“(a) If one of two identical slits producing interference in Young's experiment is covered with glass, so that the light intensity passing through it is reduced to 50%, find the ratio of the maximum and minimum intensity of the fringe in the interference pattern. (b) What king of fringes do you expect to observe if white light is used instead of monochromatic light?”

MY DOUBT IS: In the first part of the question, won't introducing a glass sheet will make the slits non-coherent? If so will there be sustained interference?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
4 years ago
Let initial intensity of light passing through each slit is I₀ .
According to question, 
one of two slits is covered with glass as shown in figure ,such that the intensity of light passing through it is reduced to 50% . 
Means intensity of this slit will be I₀/2 after covering with glass .
Now, use formula of intensity , 
Here I₁ , I₂ are the intensities of both slits respectively , 
Φ is the phase difference 
For Maximum intensity , Φ = 0° 
Then, [at Ф = π]
Here, I₁ = I₀ and I₂ = I₀/2 

And 
Now, ratio of Imax and Imin , 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free