Hi I have doubts in a problem the iitjee question paper 2007.I have attatched the question. When i tried adding both the equations and solving them,i could get 5 solutions ,i.e,0,π,5π/6,2π,π/6.But when i solved the equations seperately one after the other and took the common solutions, i got the answer attatched with the question (2 solutions).why is it wrong to add the 2 equations and solve them(the 1 st method i used)?

Hi
I have doubts in a problem the iitjee question paper 2007.I have attatched the question.

When i tried adding both the equations and solving them,i could get 5 solutions ,i.e,0,π,5π/6,2π,π/6.But when i solved the equations seperately one after the other and took the common solutions, i got the answer attatched with the question (2 solutions).why is it wrong to add the 2 equations and solve them(the 1st method i used)?

Question Image
Grade:11

3 Answers

Aziz Alam IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 232 Points
9 years ago
229-793_5.PNG
Please check the solution
uma
12 Points
9 years ago
Sorry to say, but i had asked why dont we directly add the two equations to solve this question.
Aziz Alam IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 232 Points
9 years ago
If you add the two equations you will get few solutions. Check those solutions
eg: theta-=90
is not the simultaneous solution of the two equations.

Check the solutions once you solve them while adding the equations. To be on safe side we can compare the respective solutions separately.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free