Sir, We all know that in the first quadrant all trignometric functions are positive, In second quadrant sine and cosec are positive. My question is that why the value of cosx is -ve in second quadrant where as the trignometric function cosx is ratio of lenghts (Base/Hypotenuse) and the lenghts cannot be in -ve. Please tell me answer as soon as possible..... From:- Zippinderpal Singh, Class:-XII Email-ID:- zippinderpalsingh@yahoo.in

Sir,
We all know that in the first quadrant all trignometric functions are positive, In second quadrant sine and cosec are positive. My question is that why the value of cosx is -ve in second quadrant where as the trignometric function cosx is ratio of lenghts (Base/Hypotenuse) and the lenghts cannot be in -ve. Please tell me answer as soon as possible.....
Email-ID:- zippinderpalsingh@yahoo.in

Grade:12

1 Answers

Vanya Saxena
18 Points
14 years ago

HI,

Since cosx is the ratio of lengths i.e. base /hypotenuse and we know that in the second quadrant  x-axis has all the -ve values of x whereas the hypotenuse is positve thus on taking the ratio we get a -ve value. Because the base has a negative value

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free