I have scored 386 in BITSAT 2012 and have obtained a rank of 3654 in gen category in iit. I want do do research in cryptography or any math andd computers related topic but i also want some computer science degree just to keep as a back up. I also want to go abroad and study in some good institutions. Hence i have 2 choices. Mtech in IT BHU(now iit varanasi) in mathematics and computer science or i have to take BE computer science in BITS and then add a msc math degree after 1st year(but for this i should maintain a cgpa above 8) and moreover if i go to it bhu i can retain my kvpy scohlarship. What would you recommend that i do?

I have scored 386 in BITSAT 2012 and have obtained a rank of 3654 in gen category in iit. I want do do research in cryptography or any math andd computers related topic but i also want some computer science degree just to keep as a back up. I also want to go abroad and study in some good institutions. Hence i have 2 choices. Mtech in IT BHU(now iit varanasi) in mathematics and computer science or i have to take BE computer science in BITS and then add a msc math degree after 1st year(but for this i should maintain a cgpa above 8) and moreover if i go to it bhu i can retain my kvpy scohlarship. What would you recommend that  i do?

Grade:12th pass

3 Answers

shubham k
20 Points
11 years ago

actually ur priorities are confusing you.

bits will be better for u.

1.it bhu is not an iit.so u r not going to have any advantage of it in foreign{i m talking about stamp value}

2.placement of bits is better than it bhu

3.in bits u r going to have a lot of time 4 rescearch as dere is no system of attendence.u can bunk all 365*4+1 classes and spend ur most of the time inrescearch.

4. u r not going to have long term advantage of kvpy schorsip.

IF YPU ARE AGREED PLEAZE LIKE MY ANSWER

kavish Dwivedi
94 Points
11 years ago

see as far as research orientation towards the interests u mentioned is a bit tough while doing B.Tech because you dnt get the time for a particular topic as such to focus upon apart from your core topics required for interviews and placements be it cse or any branch...it can happen only at post grad level that to from quality institutions of the IVY league for which you will have to be an allrounder at your college be it BITS or IIT (BHU is officially IIT now) because indian universities are still oriented to college courses and not intended for research at under grad levels due to absence of good faculty even in the IITs....so as a fair advice i would suggest you to join cse at BITS only because of the far more opportunities and packages being offered...but only if you cant make to IIIT H or NIT Allahabad because these two are better compared to BITS when only cse is considered(IIIT H cse is next to IIT B cse in india and NIT A cse is also the 7th best cse college after top 5 IITs and IIIT H) both these colleges have all the best software companies like facebook,google,ms,amazon visiting their campuses and you will get a good opportunity if you could get into one of this both monetary and research orientation.....hope you get something out of this...and 1 more thing dnt beleive in what website rankings say they are completely foolish....ask people studying in IITs or Top NITs and they will give you a better direction.....

kavish Dwivedi
94 Points
11 years ago

if placements arent your prime concern then you can choose IIIT H if you get it simply because it is awesome in every respect be it research or educational quality...they have lots of live projects running throughout the year ... even i did a summer project on creating a parser for dutch language there under a prof there during my summers and they arranged a lecture of a very good foreign scientist espacially for that .... next in line is electronics at BITS pilani because of the presence of ceeri (a quality central funded research center at pilani) which will provide you ample opportunities for that....and if you dont want tronix then CSE at NIT allahabad because of the quality of research projects given during your undergraduation....see i m not talking about placements in a sense that it would be for money only ...but if you can get into the R&D of microsoft,google,amazon,IBM or facebook you will get the best experience because there they will give you anything to carry out your projects and experiments and second they have the best research teams in the world for that from senior scientists of MIT to an undergrad trainee from IIT or NIT....and then after gaining an experience of 4-5 years over there ...you can get easily into MIT for research work...which they only will do it for you for your training purposes ... its a better option than vying for pointers and preparation of gre without concentrating on your hardcore brach subjects whichever will interest you....beacuse cryptography needs time ,books and overall very expert knowledge to understand...

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free