If a steel rod is clamped between two walls such that it just fits into it and then heated , it would exert some force on the rod. But since no change in length takes place , can I say that the steer so produced is zero. If so then what about the hooks law? Plz answer soon.

If a steel rod is clamped between two walls such that it just fits into it and then heated , it would exert some force on the rod. But since no change in length takes place , can I say that the steer so produced is zero. If so then what about the hooks law? 
Plz answer soon.

Grade:12th Pass

7 Answers

Shiva Rj
23 Points
8 years ago
Hooks law ain’t workin’ out here man. Heat only makes spiral objects and springs rotate, you know what I’m sayin’ dawg? If heat acts on an hollow rod and it’s not expanding length-wise, it’s gonna expand width-wise. So, do you catch my drift?
You heat it upto its meltin point then it gon’ be makin’ a mess atcha floor
Mantavya
56 Points
8 years ago
I mean to say the hooks law which states that the stress is directly proportional to strain one!!
Mantavya
56 Points
8 years ago
It would be better if you don't try to be extra cool shiva!!
Shiva Rj
23 Points
8 years ago
Its better to be cool man. Heat causes pain and you get stressed and proportionately strained yo. Its way of life
Mantavya
56 Points
8 years ago
Oh really?

raj razi
31 Points
8 years ago
according to hooks law stress directly propotional to strain...so here no strain produced means almost equal to zero...so no stress.
Mantavya
56 Points
8 years ago
you are wrong

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free