I have one question regarding total heat losses from water surface. Water is heated with immersion heater in open condition in a room. Heat losses from the top of the pan to air is to be calculated. And basically three mechanisms of heat transfer viz. by convection, evaporation and radiation is associated with it. (Conduction through walls negligible, insulated from sides). So my question is can I consider following combinations.​ 1. Both convection and evaporation along with radiation. 2. only evaporation and radiation. 3. only convection and radiation. And what will be the exact formula for evaporation heat loss if considered. **water is heated in room.

I have one question regarding total heat losses from water surface. Water is heated with immersion heater in open condition in a room. Heat losses from the top of the pan to air is to be calculated. And basically three mechanisms of heat transfer viz. by convection, evaporation and radiation is associated with it. (Conduction through walls negligible, insulated from sides). So my question is can I consider following combinations.​
1. Both convection and evaporation along with radiation.
2. only evaporation and radiation.
3. only convection and radiation.
And what will be the exact formula for evaporation heat loss if considered.  **water is heated in room.

Grade:Select Grade

1 Answers

Abhishek Kumar
askIITians Faculty 255 Points
9 years ago
For considering evaporation heat loss, you can use calorimetry formula,
Q= mL (m is th total mass evaporated)
Total heat loss is due to evaporation and radiation. The heat lost due to evaporation and radiation (High temperature increases the radiation loss and evaporation and any temperature change is due to Conduction and convection occuring in the medium) is caused by conduction and convection occuring in the medium as a system. If you consider the convection between water and air surface (Inside convection has already been considered), then it can also be taken into account.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free