From time to time inventors will claim to have perfected a device that doe useful work but consumer no (or very little ) fuel. What do you think is most likely true in such cases: (a) the claimants are right, (b) the claimants are mistaken in their measurement , or (c) the claimants are swindlers? Do you think that such a claim should be examined closely by a panel of scientist and engineers? In your opinion, would the time and effort be justified?

From time to time inventors will claim to have perfected a device that doe useful work but consumer no (or very little ) fuel. What do you think is most likely true in such cases: (a) the claimants are right, (b) the claimants are mistaken in their measurement , or (c) the claimants are swindlers? Do you think that such a claim should be examined closely by a panel of scientist and engineers? In your  opinion, would the time and effort be justified?

Grade:11

1 Answers

Aditi Chauhan
askIITians Faculty 396 Points
8 years ago
(a)
Yes, the claimants are right.
(b)
Yes, the claimants are mistaken in their measurements.
(c)
No, the claimants are not swindlers.
Yes, i think that, such a claim should be examined closely by a panel of scientists and engineers.
Yes, in my opinion, the time and effort would be justified.
No series of process is possible whose sole result is the absorption of heat from a thermal reservoir and the complete conversion of this energy to work. So, there are no perfect engines. Thus, definitely there is some heat loss during the process because of the friction, internal energy loss or due to the mistake of measure measurements. So the claimants are not swindlers. Therefore, such a claim should be examined closely by a panel of scientists and engineers. Yes, in my opinion, the time and effort would be justified.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free