A gas undergoes expansion in such a manner that its p-V diagram plot is a downward sloping straight line as shown in the figure below. What happens to the temperature during the process?

A gas undergoes expansion in such a manner that its p-V diagram plot is a downward sloping straight line as shown in the figure below. What happens to the temperature during the process?

Question Image
Grade:11

2 Answers

Rajdeep
231 Points
5 years ago
HELLO THERE!
Rajdeep
231 Points
5 years ago
I’m so sorry, I wrote the whole answer but due to data problems, only the first part was posted. Here is the full answer:

If you check the P-V diagram, it is clear that the Pressure is decreasing and the volume is increasing (also, it is mentioned in the question, that the process is expansion).

Now, from ideal gas equation, we have PV = nRT.
This means that the Temperature is directly proportional to both Pressure and Volume and inreases when both pressure and volume increases, and decreases when both pressure and volume decreases, and remains constant when the increase/decrease in the pressure and volume is constant (i.e., the curve is a rectangular hyperbola).

Now, in the above diagram, the question does not tell us by how much magnitude the pressure and volume is decreasing and increasing. If the increase in volume was more than the decrease in pressure, then the temperature increases, and if vice versa, the temperature decreases.

But, nothing is said about it. So, I think that the data is insufficient to determine the temperature.
If I’m incorrect please let me know :)

[At last I would say sorry to the askIITians Forum Team, for posting one answer in two parts. I know it's against the rule, but I didn’t do it intentionally. My data connection was unstable when I posted it. I’m sorry].

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free