what are snowballs and how are they formed? ( i know they are formed due to regelation but please explain it)

what are snowballs and how are they formed?

( i know they are formed due to regelation but please explain it)

Grade:10

2 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

A snowball is a spherical object made from snow, usually created by scooping snow with the hands, and compacting it into a roughly fist-sized ball.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Kabeer Kumar
15 Points
4 years ago
Dear Indrayani,
Regelation is the phenomenon of melting of ice under pressure, and refreezing of water into ice,when the pressure is reduced. Now, this also inludes the fact that Water is the only thing known, which is denser in liquid state than in its solid state! So when one compresses the snow with his fist(applies pressure on the snow), the loosely bound snowflakes melt into water, which is denser so takes less space, i.e. water fits in the compact space in the fist. When the pressure on it, is released, it refreezes and now becomes ice/snow-ball. Thus, this phenonmenon is explained by REGELATION.
Hope it helps... 
Kabeer Kumar
Future Scientist/Physicist.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free