Which of the element among B, Al, C and Si :- Has the highest first ionization enthalpy? Has the most negative electron gain enthalpy?

Which of the element among B, Al, C and Si :-
Has the highest first ionization enthalpy?
Has the most negative electron gain enthalpy?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Aarti Gupta
askIITians Faculty 300 Points
9 years ago
Ionisation enthalpy is defined as the amount of energy required to remove an outermost electron from an isolated,gaseous atom.First I.E refers to amount of energy needed to remove first outermost electron.Now along a period ,nuclear charge increases by one unit ,so it will become more and more difficult to remove an outermost electron.So I.E increaes and along an group ,atomic size increases so it will become easier to remove the outermost electron so I.E decreases. Now among the B,Al,C.Si,carbon will have the highest first I.E.
Electron gain enthalpy or also called as electron affinity is the amount of energy released when an isolated ,neutral,gaseous atom takes an extra electron from an uninegative ion.Along a period electron affinity becomes more and more negative as effective nuclear charge increases so it would be easier to add an e-.On moving down the group atomic size increases so added e- would be farther from the nucleus,so electron gain enthalpy become less negative.Thus among the B,Al,C and Si ,carbon will have most negative e- gain enthalpy.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free