What is the correct answer of this question and plz show/tell me the steps if possible from figures!!

What is the correct answer of this question and plz show/tell me  the steps if possible from figures!!

Question Image
Grade:12th pass

3 Answers

Nirzari Kalpesh Shah
47 Points
5 years ago
Ans: px-px orbital overlap.Electronic Configuration of Flourine atom: 1 s2, 2 s2, 2 p5.It needs only one electron to complete it`s octet Configuration and form fluorine molecule. One p orbital left in flourine atom is px and therefore px-px orbital overlap would take place.
sohan goswami
23 Points
5 years ago
@NirzariKalpeshShah why not Py- Py orbitals , why only Px and that to in axial overlapping,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, plz expalin me further,,,,.. plz reply …...
Nirzari Kalpesh Shah
47 Points
5 years ago
Both orbitals ( px andpy) have same energy levels. So actually any orbital overlap can be considered.
But conventionlly we take first px orbital to participate in hybridisation than py.
But if we dicuss on filling of electrons in pz or ( px, py) then pz will be considered first. This is because
Pz forms sigma bond and px,py form pi-bond.
So filling of px,py depends on filling of pz orbital.( Pi- bond depends on formation of sigma bond.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free