jay here my q is that as we move from bottom to top IN PERIODIC TABLE the no of SHELLS decreases. So, the electron holding force also increases [1/r2] .therefore as we move down wards vice versa occurs. i.e the holding force decreases.therefore , as we move downwards the reactivity must increase as it easily loses the electron. IS THIS CORRECT?

jay here
           my q is that as we move from bottom to top IN PERIODIC TABLE the no of SHELLS decreases. So, the electron holding force also increases [1/r2] .therefore as we move down wards vice versa occurs. i.e the holding force decreases.therefore , as we move downwards the reactivity must increase as it easily loses the electron.
      IS THIS  CORRECT?

Grade:10

1 Answers

Apoorva Arora IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 181 Points
9 years ago
Hi jay,
Yes you are absolutely right. As we move down the periodic table, the no. of shells increase and therefore the hold of the nucleus on the valence electrons become weak and hence they are very reactive in LOOSING ELECTRONS. If we are talking about non metals, they gain electron to complete their octet and therefore as we move down their reactivity decreases. I hope you got my point.
Thanks and Regards
Apoorva Arora
IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free