Give reason : a) PCl5 acts as an oxidising agent. b) Dinitrogen is chemically inert.

Give reason :
a) PCl5 acts as an oxidising agent.
b) Dinitrogen is chemically inert.

Grade:Upto college level

3 Answers

sumit kumar
askIITians Faculty 13 Points
9 years ago
  1. In PCl5 oxidation state of P is +5. +5 is the highest oxidation state of P. Apart from +5, P also show oxidation state +3 and -3. +3 oxidation state of P is more stable as compare to +5, so PCl5 acts as oxidising agent and gets converted to PCl5 i.e P gets reduced from +5 to +3.
  2. N2 is formed by combination of two N atoms, bonded through three covalent bonds i.e a triple bond. The combination of two pi and one sigma bond i.e. a triple bond, is so strong that it requires high amount of energy to break the N2 into two N atoms. This high bond enthalpy makes it inert
Thanks & Regards
Sumit kumar
askIITians Faculty
Aditya Kumar
26 Points
8 years ago
  1. In PCl5 oxidation state of P is +5. +5 is the highest oxidation state of P. Apart from +5, P also show oxidation state +3 and -3. +3 oxidation state of P is more stable as compare to +5, so PCl5 acts as oxidising agent and gets converted to PCl3 i.e P gets reduced from +5 to +3.
Priyanshi soni
41 Points
4 years ago
Because  In  PCl5   P have +5 oxidation state which is it highest  oxidation state so , know it no more  oxidize  but it can reduce, therefore it acts as oxidising agent.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free