for a process to be isothermal temperature must be constant....means there must be sufficient time for the heat to be exchanged between system and surroundings so that temp remains constant.... means the process needs to be slow if it is to be isothermal and slow processes are always reversible....so there must be nothing like irreversible isothermal cause it wont be possible. Please tell me where am i wrong?

for a process to be isothermal temperature must be constant....means there must be sufficient time for the heat to be exchanged between system and surroundings so that temp remains constant.... means the process needs to be slow if it is to be isothermal and slow processes are always reversible....so there must be nothing like irreversible isothermal cause it wont be possible.

Please tell me where am i wrong?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Saurabh Singh
askIITians Faculty 49 Points
10 years ago
dear slow processes are not always reversible

for example you can have an isothermal process that is very slow and amount of heat entering can be equal to amount of work being done by the system. Work is a path function so this will lead to irreversibility

i hope ur doubt is clarified

Thanks & Regards

Saurabh Singh,

askIITians Faculty

B.Tech.

IIT Kanpur

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free