i have read that electron is discovered in 1897 and proton in 1886 but now i read that proton is discoverd after the discovery of electronthen how can it possibe please explain..............

i have read that electron is discovered in 1897 and proton in 1886
but now i read that proton is discoverd after the discovery of electronthen how can it possibe please explain..............

Grade:12th Pass

2 Answers

Jaya IITK
207 Points
12 years ago

people knew theres some +ve charge but it couldnt be found due to what

When it was found protons were discovered

Plzzzzz approve my answer by clicking on yes below!!!!

Godfrey Classic Prince
633 Points
12 years ago

Dear mohit jain,

It was electron which was discovered first in 1897 by J.J Thomson

Electron
A glass tube containing a glowing green electron beam

Experiments with a Crookes tube first demonstrated the particle nature of electrons. In this illustration, the profile of the cross-shaped target is projected against the tube face at right by a beam of electrons.

In 1896, the British physicist J. J.Thomson, with his colleagues John S. Townsend and H. A. Wilson performed experiments indicating that cathode rays really were unique particles, rather than waves, atoms or molecules as was believed earlier. Thomson made good estimates of both the charge e and the mass m, finding that cathode ray particles, which he called "corpuscles," had perhaps one thousandth of the mass of the least massive ion known: hydrogen.] He showed that their charge to mass ratio, e/m, was independent of cathode material. He further showed that the negatively charged particles produced by radioactive materials, by heated materials and by illuminated materials were universal. The name electron was again proposed for these particles by the Irish physicist George F. Fitzgerald, and the name has since gained universal acceptance.

It was only after the discovery of electrons were protons discovered in 1919 by Ernest Rutherford,a New Zealand Experimenter .

In 1886 Eugen Goldstein discovered canal rays (also known as anode rays) and showed that they were positively charged particles (ions) produced from gases. However, since particles from different gases had different values of charge-to-mass ratio (e/m), they could not be identified with a single particle, unlike the negative electrons discovered by J. J. Thomson.

Following the discovery of the atomic nucleus by Ernest Rutherford in 1911, Antonius van den Broek proposed that the place of each element in the periodic table (its atomic number) is equal to its nuclear charge. This was confirmed experimentally by Henry Moseley in 1913 using X-ray spectra. In 1919 Rutherford proved that the hydrogen nucleus is present in other nuclei, a result usually described as the discovery of the proton. He noticed that when alpha particles were shot into nitrogen gas, his scintillation detectors showed the signatures of hydrogen nuclei. Rutherford determined that this hydrogen could only have come from the nitrogen, and therefore nitrogen must contain hydrogen nuclei. The hydrogen nucleus is therefore present in other nuclei as an elementary particle, which Rutherford named the proton, after the neuter singular of the Greek word for "first", πρ?τον.

Hope you understood it now!!

If you loved the answer then please do not forget to approve it by clicking on "Yes" below..!!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free