Y does aldehyde group have more -I effect than COOH group?

Y does aldehyde group have more -I effect than COOH group?

Grade:12th pass

6 Answers

Sinesh
26 Points
6 years ago
Yes, u may learn order of -l effect ...decreasing order-NO2 ,—SO2R ,—CN , —SO2Ar, —CHO, —COOH, F,Cl, Br , I , —OR, — CCH, —NH2, —Ph, —CHCH2
Serene
23 Points
6 years ago
C
Serene
23 Points
6 years ago
Cud u explain it based on electronegativity of surrounding atoms?
Arjun Satheesh
32 Points
6 years ago
As far as I know, the following might be one reason.
In aldehydes and c.acids, -C=O group is common. So difference in properties might be due to the -OH in c.acids and -H in aldehydes. Since the O atom
in -OH has 6 lone pairs of electrons, it has more of a electron repelling nature (which might overcome its electronegativity) and as a result, more of a
+I effect group than -H as in case of aldehydes. Hence aldehydes show more of -I effect than c.acids. ;) 
Serene
23 Points
6 years ago
But acc to the order OH has more -I effect than -H.So,y doesn't it show its repelling nature when it is simply attached to C atom?
Arjun Satheesh
32 Points
6 years ago
Serene, I might come to a conclusion that -C=O group being more of electron withdrawing group than normal C atom, causes the change in behaviour of -OH and -H. It influences the -I effect of -OH because of its (O atom) availability of electrons. At least that is what I assume. ;) Again, this is organic chemistry. Most of its facts are purely conceptual.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free