what is free radical,lone pair and bond pairPlease discuss in detail and mention diagram for easy understanding,if possible

what is free radical,lone pair and bond pairPlease discuss in detail and mention diagram for easy understanding,if possible

Grade:12th pass

2 Answers

SAHIL
3778 Points
7 years ago
Hi sagar

IT IS FOUND THAT CARBON ALWAYS FORMS A COVALENT BOND THAT IS A BOND FORMED BY SHARING OF ELECTRONS. THIS BOND CAN BE BREAKED IN TWO WAYS:

HOMOLYTIC CLEVAGE

HETEROLYTIC CLEVAGE

HOMOLYTIC CLEVAGE: IN HOMOLYTIC CLEVAGE ONE ELECTRON FROM SHARED PAIR OF ELECTRON GO TOWARDS ONE ATOM AND OTHER ELECTRON GOES TOWARDS OTHER ATOM. SO SUCH CLEVAGE RESULTS IN FORMATION OF SUCH SPECIES WHICH HAVE A UNPAIRED ELECTRON. WE CALL THESE SPECIES AS FREE RADICALS.  THESE TYPE OF REACTIONS WHICH INVOLVES HOMOLYTIC CLEVAGE ARE CALLED FREE RADICAL REACTIONS OR HOMPOLAR OR NONPOLAR REACTIONS.

lone pair : those electrons that are not involved in bond formation forms a lone pair

thanks

i hope yur doubt has been removed.if you are facing any problem with this topic let me know i will try to clear it
Sagar Gupta
39 Points
7 years ago
@Sahil, Why lone pairs don`t participate in the Bond Formation? Suppose there is a bond between H and C in CH4 then on clavrage the C will get its electron and H will get its and complete their octet then How the free radical comes?

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free