2. OH-
  3. CH3-
  4. NH2-

Grade:Select Grade

3 Answers

Aarti Gupta
askIITians Faculty 300 Points
9 years ago
Nucleophilicity is reffered to as the tendency to donate the electrons,and nucleophile is an substance which possess electrons to donate.
Since electronegativity decreases in the order (F>O>N>C),the tendency to donate the electron pair increases,i.e nucleophilicity will increased.Thus among the options CH3- ion will have the highest nucleophilicity.
Rishi Sharma
askIITians Faculty 646 Points
3 years ago
Dear Student,
Please find below the solution to your problem.

Nucleophilicity is reffered to as the tendency to donate the electrons,and nucleophile is an substance which possess electrons to donate. Since electronegativity decreases in the order (F>O>N>C),the tendency to donate the electron pair increases,i.e nucleophilicity will increased.Thus among the options CH3- ion will have the highest nucleophilicity.

Thanks and Regards
Srinivasan S
27 Points
3 years ago
I like to offer a different definition for nucleophilicity. Often there is confusion between the terms nucleophilicity and basicity, esp. when the same anion / molecule having “lone pair” of electrons – behaves as both. In both cases, an electron pair is donated. So, I would term nucleophilicty as:
“the ease of forming a bond with carbon” – as practically all nucleophilic reactions result in a C-Nu (Nu = nucleophile) bond formation.
[Basicity would be the ease with which an anion / molecule (could be same as above) can pick up an acidic proton... or simplifying, to form a bond with hydrogen  only]

The explanations for order of basicity is already well explained by Ms. Aarti & Mr. Rishi. Simplifying, we can say that the order of nucleophilicity increases from “right to left” in the periodic table (& thus is inversely proportional to the electronegativity of anion / molecule)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free