ONE OF THE MOST DREADED TOPICS FOR ME. Please explain me clearly why the encircled carbon atom represent a chiral centre. How are we getting two different patterns on moving clockwise and anticlockwise.

ONE OF THE MOST DREADED TOPICS FOR ME.
Please explain me clearly why the encircled carbon atom represent a chiral centre. How are we getting two different patterns on moving clockwise and anticlockwise.

Question Image
Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Neeti
571 Points
8 years ago
a chiral carbon is a carbon which is attached to 4 different atoms. In this case the carbon encircled is attached to a hydrogen, a flourine, and then to a ring, but since the ring is UNSYMMETRICAL ( has a florune on upper half of ring on left side but no flourine on lower half, thereofre for the encircled carbon, it is unsymmetrical hence it is a chiral carbon :)

i can see where you’re going wrong, Don’t check the symmetry of the entire molecule, of course the entire molecule is symmetrical. But check it with respect to the chiral carbon. Chiral Carbon is attached to a ring, but the ring with respect to the chiral carbon is unsymmetrical.

Please feel free to ask any follow up doubt and approve the answer if you think it’s useful :)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free