(I posted this question many time but I not found any satisfactory answer.Please ,sir help me.This is a question of MS Chouhan .Please expalin in detail why we consider both the lone pairs on oxygen as it has only 1 pi orbital so it must have only 1 pair of pi electron after resonance also.Please explain in detail as I fed up after posting this same question many times Q-Calculate the number of pi electrons present in the following compound(see attachment)? Ans-10

(I posted this question many time but I not found any satisfactory answer.Please ,sir help me.This is a question of MS Chouhan .Please expalin in detail why we consider both the lone pairs on oxygen as it has only 1 pi orbital so it must have only 1 pair of pi electron after resonance also.Please explain in detail as I fed up after posting this same question many times
Q-Calculate the number of pi electrons present in the following compound(see attachment)?
Ans-10

Question Image
Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

ashish jangir
22 Points
5 years ago
The answer can be explained using the concept of hybridisation.Electronic configuration of O atom is 1s22s22pnow, there are 2 unpaired electrons in p orbital and one is paired. So what happen is that electrons of 2s and 2p combine to hybridize which let the electrons to act as pi electrons. and hence there are two lone pairs found on oxygen atom one on 2s and other on 2p.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free