How to prepare ethanol from ethyl magnesium bromide??? Normally alcohols are formed either from aldehyde or ketones or sometimes from epoxides...but preparation of ethanol from ethyl magnesium bromide is out of my understanding... plz reply

How to prepare ethanol from ethyl magnesium bromide??? Normally alcohols are formed either from aldehyde or ketones or sometimes from epoxides...but preparation of ethanol from ethyl magnesium bromide is out of my understanding... plz reply

Grade:

4 Answers

Ankit
104 Points
6 years ago
My friend your question is inappropriate . The question must be how to prepare ETHYL MAGNESIUM BROMIDE from ETHANOL...The answer is by reaction of ETHANOL with HYDROGEN BROMIDE under controlled temperature to generate ethyl bromide. For more information the reaction is known as NUCLEOPHILIC SUBSTITUTION REACTION... hope you reconsider the question..
Vishal Jagwani
25 Points
6 years ago
Treat ethyl magnesium bromide with dry ice (CO2) in presence of Dry ether and further treating with H2O and dil HCl.It will form propanoic acid (CH3CH2COOH) and MgBrOH. Further treat it with Sodium metal to form Sodium salt of propanoic acid (CH3CH2COONa ). Use Decarboxylation reaction i.e. treating with NaOH and CaO. This will give you ethane. Further use Halogenation and further treat it with aq KOH. This will give you ethanol.Good luck!!
S.G PANDA
25 Points
6 years ago
I want to thank sir Vishal Jagwani ji for his appropriate answer... really thank u very much sir for your answer... now i am able understand the mechanism. ...thank soooo much 🙏
Tummeti Sai Ram kumar
42 Points
6 years ago
When ethyl magnesium bromide is reacted with H2O in the presence of an acid it undergoes hydrolysis and forms methane by Grignard reagent mechanism .And when etane is reacted with O2 in the presence of Copper tube at 523K and 100atm then it yields ethanol as product.......Ram

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free