MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: Rs.

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Grade:
        How to prepare ethanol from ethyl magnesium bromide???  Normally alcohols are formed either from aldehyde or ketones or sometimes from epoxides...but preparation of ethanol from ethyl magnesium bromide is out of my understanding... plz reply
5 months ago

Answers : (4)

Ankit
97 Points
							My friend your question is inappropriate . The question must be how to prepare ETHYL MAGNESIUM BROMIDE from ETHANOL...The answer is by reaction of ETHANOL with HYDROGEN BROMIDE under controlled temperature to generate ethyl bromide. For more information the reaction is known as NUCLEOPHILIC SUBSTITUTION REACTION... hope you reconsider the question..

5 months ago
Vishal Jagwani
25 Points
							Treat ethyl magnesium bromide with dry ice (CO2) in presence of Dry ether and further treating with H2O and dil HCl.It will form propanoic acid (CH3CH2COOH) and MgBrOH. Further treat it with Sodium metal to form Sodium salt of propanoic acid (CH3CH2COONa ). Use Decarboxylation reaction i.e. treating with NaOH and CaO. This will give you ethane. Further use Halogenation and further treat it with aq KOH. This will give you ethanol.Good luck!!

5 months ago
S.G PANDA
25 Points
							I want to thank sir Vishal Jagwani ji for his appropriate answer... really thank u very much sir for your answer... now i am able understand the mechanism. ...thank soooo much šŸ™

5 months ago
Tummeti Sai Ram kumar
42 Points
							When ethyl magnesium bromide is reacted with H2O in the presence of an acid it undergoes hydrolysis and forms methane by Grignard reagent mechanism .And when etane is reacted with O2 in the presence of Copper tube at 523K and 100atm then it yields ethanol as product.......Ram

4 months ago
Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?
Answer & Earn Cool Goodies

Get Extra Rs. 3,180 off

COUPON CODE: SELF20

Course Features

• 731 Video Lectures
  • Revision Notes
  • Previous Year Papers
  • Mind Map
  • Study Planner
  • NCERT Solutions