how can u convert bromomethane to propanone?can we convert using grignard reagent?

how can u convert bromomethane to propanone?can we convert using grignard reagent?

Grade:12

6 Answers

Jayant Kishore
144 Points
8 years ago
Yes we can convert it using grignard reagent
CH3Br  +Mg/Dry ether→ CH3MgBr
 CH3MgBr + CH3CN +H2O → CH3COCH3
Approve the answer if correct
Jayant Kishore
144 Points
8 years ago
Grignard Reagents react with cyanides to form ketones.The rection proceeds via imine formation.
RMgX+ R’CN → R – (C=NMgX ) – R’   → H3O+  → R – (C=O ) – R’
The reaction is absolutely correct , let me know the reason for disapproval of previous answer .
mansi
25 Points
8 years ago
grignard agents react with aldehydes with acid hydrolysis to produce secondary alcohols which on oxidation gives ketones? 
Jayant Kishore
144 Points
8 years ago
Thanks , although either of the two methods can be used for the prepration of ketones from grignard reagent . The former method is better as it gives product in only one step but it has a demerit which I came to know that  methyl cyanide is the only alkyl cyanide which does not form a ketone with grignard reagent.( I don’t know the  reason behind this)  .{Ref. organic chemistry I.L. FINAR  Pg 355}
Thanks again.
mansi
25 Points
8 years ago
lol i m not gud at chem! anyways best of luck!!!! how do u do conversions actually??
can u plz tell me shortcut?
Jayant Kishore
144 Points
8 years ago
In organic conversion , the first thing that matters is knowledge of regent with their functions. Secondly , I notice the diference between the original compound and the product. Usually if their is extra carbon in the product , then Grignard Reagent is very useful. In case of benzene derivatives , electrophilic substitutions and diazonium salts are often preffered.This is a general apprach and may vary from question to question . It will be easier if you practice some questions regularly . ALL THE BEST !!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free