Explain me the topic about classification if orgainc compounds

Grade:11

1 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago
Dear student

Classification of Organic Compounds  Based on Structure

1) Acyclic or open-chain compounds: Organic compounds in which all the carbon atoms are linked to one another to form open chains (straight or branched) are called acyclic or open chain compounds. These may be either saturated or unsaturated. For example,

These compounds are also called as aliphatic compounds.

Cyclic or closed-chain compounds: Cyclic compounds contain at least one ring or closed chain of atoms. The compounds with only one ring of atoms in the molecule are known as monocyclic but those with more than one ring of atoms are termed as polycyclic. These are further divided into two subgroups.

1. Homocyclic or carbocyclic : These are the compounds having a ring or rings of carbon atoms only in the molecule. The carbocyclic or homocyclic compounds may again be divided into two types:
  2. Alicyclic compounds: These are the compounds which contain rings of three or more carbon atoms. These resemble with aliphatic compounds than aromatic compounds in many respects. That is why these are named alicyclic, i.e., aliphatic cyclic. These are also termed as polymethylenes. Some of the examples are,

?

Aromatic compounds: These compounds consist of at least one benzene ring, i.e., a six-membered carbocyclic ring having alternate single and double bonds. Generally, these compounds have some fragrant odour and hence, named as aromatic (Greek word aroma meaning sweet smell).

These are also called benzenoid aromatics.

Non-benzenoid aromatics: There are aromatic compounds, which have structural units different from benzenoid type and are known as Non-benzenoid aromatics e.g. Tropolone, azulene etc.

(b) Heterocyclic compounds: Cyclic compounds containing one or more hetero atoms (e.g. O, N, S etc.) in the ring are called heterocyclic compounds. These are of two types:

Alicyclic heterocyclic compounds: Heterocyclic compounds which resemble aliphatic compounds in their properties are called Alicyclic heterocyclic compounds. For example,

Aromatic heterocyclic compounds: Heterocyclic compounds which resemble benzene and other aromatic compounds in most of their properties are called Aromatic heterocyclic compounds

Regards
Arun (askIITians forum expert)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free