ethanol + HBr -----> ethylbromide + water please give mechanism this question came in cbse 2014 exam

ethanol + HBr -----> ethylbromide + water
please give mechanism
this question came in cbse 2014 exam

Grade:12th pass

3 Answers

Ruchi Shaw
askIITians Faculty 35 Points
10 years ago
When treated with HBr,ethanol goes a nucleophilic substitution reaction to generate ethylbromide and water.Reaction usually proceeds via SN1 mechanism which proceeds via a carbocation intermediate that can also undergo rearrangement.
Mechanism:
Step 1 ) An acid base reaction takes place,Protonation of the alcoholic oxygen takes place to make it a better leaving group. This step is very fast and reversible. The lone pairs on the oxygen make it a Lewis base.
Step 2) Cleavage of the C-O bond allows the loss of the good leaving group, a neutral water molecule to give a carbocation intermediate.This is the rate determining step (bond breaking is intermediate)
Step 3 ) Attack of the nucleophilic bromide ion on the elctrophilic carbocations create ethylbromide.
Thanks & Regards
Ruchi Shaw
askIITians faculty

So if do it
15 Points
2 years ago
If so do to do holding drug to fill out an it do go it do to do do hello do to ten do he is so do me was to old the p say send so it she e an hi in has seen hi I'll n u see they all say and she did all my
Sachin D
32 Points
2 years ago
It is an SN1 mechanism. SN1 reaction mechanism follows a step-by-step process wherein first, the carbocation is formed from the removal of the leaving group. Then the carbocation is attacked by the nucleophile.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free