C5H10 double bond equivalent cyclo isomers structure can be formed

C5H10 double bond equivalent 
cyclo isomers structure can be formed

Grade:11

2 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
4 years ago

I count 11. Isotopes of C or H could be involved, but I do not count structures with theunusual isotopes as different compounds. I do not see them as isomers.

Because the number of hydrogens is doble the number of carbons, it has to be either a cycloalkane, or an alkene.

If it is a cycloalkane it could be a

1. A 5 carbon ring: cyclobutane,
  2. A 4 carbon ring with a methyl substituent: methylcyclobutane
  3. A 3 carbon ring with an eth6l substituent: ethylcyclopropane
  4. A 3 carbon ring with two methyl constituents on the same side of the ring plane: cis-dimethylcyclopropane
  5. A 3 carbon ring with two methyl groups on different sides of the ring plane: trans-dimethylcyclopropane.

If it is an alkene, it could be

6. A 5-carbon linear chain with the double bond at one end: 1-pentene.

7. A 5 carbon linear chain with a double bond in the middle, and the hydrogen atoms on the double bond carbons on the same side of the double bond: cis-2-pentene

8. A 5 carbon linear chain with a double bond in the middle, and the hydrogen atoms on the double bond carbons on opposite sides of the double bond: trans-2-pentene.

9. A 4 carbon chain with a double bond on one end, methyl-substituted at the middle carbon with the double bond:2-methyl-1-butene.

10. A 4 carbon chain with a double bond on one end, methyl-substituted at the middle carbon not involved in the double bond: 3-methyl-1-butene.

11. A 4 carbon chain with a double bond in the middle and a,methyl constituent: 2-methyl-2-butene.

Vikas TU
14149 Points
4 years ago
The molecular formula of C5H10 contains 2 less H atoms than pentane (C5H12) so that it must contain either a double bond or one ring. Therefore in terms of functional groups we need to consider alkenes and cycloalkanes.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free